Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

My take on all of this is that even if I did not have my mobility issues I'd not consider a vehicle without at least one door. Not only for my own convenience but for any passengers. In my case I had a lot of issues going into this project, but you never know what the future holds. You may be able to make the climb in and out today, but it would be a shame to invest your time and money building a doorless car, then have to tear it apart to add a door later.

On the issue of the CCR-esque bracing goes, if there is any way, I'd do something similar. I do not see any reason one could not be made to work with the bomber seats.

Do you have enough room to put the braces under the floor? How about bolting the braces to the side of the frame under the floor?

Well, if you look at the pics of the brace, it has a top rail that runs across the width of the body. Which actually makes it perfect for a bench seat support. I was a work today and had a few minutes to day dream and I came up with a solution, whether I go with a bench or bomber seats. I thought about a frame made for the seat bottom that would attach to the cross brace. Bolts or some type of clip could be used to hold it in place. When I needed to get under the seat, I'd undo the clips or bolts and lift the bench out. For bomber seats, the seat frame would be in two sections, one under each seat. In my head, it's the perfect solution. I'll draw it out on my day off and see how it would work.

You can see the cross brace in this pic.
full

See, that's how my mind works. I'm not even close to having a body, but I'm planning it out.:D

My take on all of this is that even if I did not have my mobility issues I'd not consider a vehicle without at least one door. Not only for my own convenience but for any passengers. In my case I had a lot of issues going into this project, but you never know what the future holds. You may be able to make the climb in and out today, but it would be a shame to invest your time and money building a doorless car, then have to tear it apart to add a door later.

On the issue of the CCR-esque bracing goes, if there is any way, I'd do something similar. I do not see any reason one could not be made to work with the bomber seats.

That was a thought, too, Zandoz. I attended a few shows with my old T and there was always a couple people, who wanted to sit inside, but they just weren't able or didn't want to attempt, to climb in. Of course, I was always there to help the ladies.:p And, I'm not getting any younger and the future is uncertain, so I'd hate to wake up one day and be unable to get in my own car!:eek: So, I'll probably save up for the door option. Unless I change my mind in an hour or two!:D

Gawd, I love looking at CCR's stuff.:cool: Sometimes, I just click on a pic, stare and dream.

Well, if you look at the pics of the brace, it has a top rail that runs across the width of the body. Which actually makes it perfect for a bench seat support. I was a work today and had a few minutes to day dream and I came up with a solution, whether I go with a bench or bomber seats. I thought about a frame made for the seat bottom that would attach to the cross brace. Bolts or some type of clip could be used to hold it in place. When I needed to get under the seat, I'd undo the clips or bolts and lift the bench out. For bomber seats, the seat frame would be in two sections, one under each seat. In my head, it's the perfect solution. I'll draw it out on my day off and see how it would work.

You can see the cross brace in this pic.
full

See, that's how my mind works. I'm not even close to having a body, but I'm planning it out.:D

You are thinking along similar lines as I am. My plan is to fasten whatever I do for a seat base to the cross support with some old fashion removable pin door hinges. That way the base can swing up, or be quickly removed by pulling the hinge pins.

My plans for the seat base itself are up in the air. Because of how low I'm planning my bucket to be, the drive shaft tunnel angles up towards the rear and passes above the level of the seat base about half way back. It will end up being about 2"-3" above the base at it's rear. Right now the plan is for a hybrid seat base cut into a "U" shape from a single piece of plywood. The front half a full width bench. The rear half, the open end of the "U", fitting around either side of the drive shaft tunnel like a pair of bucket seats. I have been planning on the seat back being a full width bench style, but it could just as well be done with a pair of bomber seat style backs.

Gawd, I love looking at CCR's stuff.:cool: Sometimes, I just click on a pic, stare and dream.
Both CCR's and RPM's! Almost every day I wish I'd known of their offerings today, before I got too heavily invested in the direction I'm going over the past few years.

Both CCR's and RPM's! Almost every day I wish I'd known of their offerings today, before I got too heavily invested in the direction I'm going over the past few years.

Yep, Ron too. I have two words for Ron. "Beefy" and "personable". Ron's brackets and assemblies are THICK. Every bracket or part I've gotten from him looks and feels like he took it off a Sherman freakin' TANK! And while you can order from his site. I like to call. Because Ron will tell you what's going on. He'll make a suggestion. He'll ask you how the day's going and chat about his for a while. He will build WHAT YOU WANT, the WAY YOU WANT IT. THICK and HEAVY DUTY.

I'm proud to say, I knew of Ron, when all he made was gas tanks. The man is a work force.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a paid endorsement. The poster has NOT been reimbursed by RPM or Ron Pope.:D

Reactions: RPM
I do like the nice beefy braces for the floor, and I am planning on making mine, however I plan on having a seamless flat floor.
Where those bolt heads are I will be welding nuts to the bottom side and bolting up from the bottom with lock washers and plenty of locktight so that everything is flush for wood and aluminum inlay.

Yep, Ron too. I have two words for Ron. "Beefy" and "personable". Ron's brackets and assemblies are THICK. Every bracket or part I've gotten from him looks and feels like he took it off a Sherman freakin' TANK! And while you can order from his site. I like to call. Because Ron will tell you what's going on. He'll make a suggestion. He'll ask you how the day's going and chat about his for a while. He will build WHAT YOU WANT, the WAY YOU WANT IT. THICK and HEAVY DUTY.

I'm proud to say, I knew of Ron, when all he made was gas tanks. The man is a work force.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a paid endorsement. The poster has NOT been reimbursed by RPM or Ron Pope.:D

Yep Fred was the guy that told me about this site in the old NTBA chat room, many many years ago.

I do like the nice beefy braces for the floor, and I am planning on making mine, however I plan on having a seamless flat floor.
Where those bolt heads are I will be welding nuts to the bottom side and bolting up from the bottom with lock washers and plenty of locktight so that everything is flush for wood and aluminum inlay.

I figure on going with a vinyl/rubber type lining and automotive carpet. It's what worked last time for me. Maybe....

Again, I have to agree totally. I was lucky enough to be able to stop by Ron's shop and meet him. I still wish I'd been able to have him build my frame. Though I've not been able to do business with him so far, I absolutely intend to if I do ever get a frame.

When using the bucket seats just modify that front top riser tube to go under the seat lip or stop the seat just before the tube. I made this one so it's only 2.5" off the floor.

View attachment 12026 View attachment 12027

And........thank you for that! Nice looking seats. I love it when a plan comes together.:D Res, I had a crappy day at work today, but those pics got my head clear. Now, I'm way motivated! Yeeee haw, I'm breaking out the sketch pad!

Hey?! Are those leaned back windshield stanchions for a CCR body? I like that mirror, too. Are they available?

Last edited:
We don't sell those, they are in my car and are made by Fibersteel out of Azusa, Ca. The most comfortable lo-profile buckets I have sat in but are reproduction Porsche leather seats and are unfortunately priced accordingly.
The posts are our (CCR's) straight ones but have been cut and laid back around 8-10 degrees to match the body line on that car
The mirror is our standard stainless post mirror with the short arm and we do stock those. The photo below is the standard length arm

Custom Windshield Posts 4.jpg 69402P Post Mirror Stainless szd.jpg

Thanks. I knew those seats were out of my reach, but the way they're installed showed me how that style would work and look. The stanchions are doable, so thanks for that info, as well. The mirror? It's on my "to buy" list. I like the "art deco" design elements in it. Thanks for responding.

Well, I'll be gawd danged! I scored 2 days off work....... in a row! I'll be researching and searching for car stuff. First trip, to look at a rear end at local bone yard. Guy said he THINKS it's a posi. Then,........ who knows.

On the topic of my seating options....... it's got tho be easy to remove for battery access. A split bench, maybe? Very doable and practical. Or, make the bucket seats removable? Each is separate, so again, practical. In the end, the main issue will be comfort. I know I can make a very comfy bench. A comfy bomber seat will require some serious searching, but I know they're out there.

Time to go look at that rear end.

Last edited:
Good luck on the seat quest! I spent too much time searching for them. Sort of like the gauges quest... Ended up deciding to modify a junk yard minivan seat. I couldnt find any bomber style that I really liked, and the prices for engineered options were out of my reasonable realm...I have seen some outside the box ideas that were intriguing, like office chairs, etc... Whatever works for your build is the right choise. Too bad we aren't close, I could hook you up with a posi... They aren't too hard to find if you are ok with a 10 bolt or maybe a 8" the 9" are getting scarce at the boneyards, but pleantiful in the aftermarket....

Quick check for posi. Turn one wheel and if the other turns the same way it's a posi. An open will turn the other way or not at all.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back