Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Yup....... 10:30pm last night, hanging with some friends and net surfing, when my good buddy says, "Ya know Fred, it's like you're rebuilding your old car. You should call it "Miss Behavin'". That idea lasted about 5 minutes. "Miss Behavin'" was my first Hot Rod and I loved the journey. But I made a LOT of mistakes and lost a LOT of money having to redo things. But she was a learning experience. I'm glad I kept notes and pics. I've used them to stop myself from repeating those same mistakes. So, "Black Dahlia" she'll stay.

This morning, a day off, my mind wandered to exhaust systems. I fell in love with my Lake headers, but I was think of something a little different this time. But it my not be feasible due to space consideration. I could do it for a lot less than the cost of Lake headers, but I'll need a rolling chassis to check for fit. Hmm.......

Stance. It's a game changer.

full
That is a very clean looking ride! I like the use of the generator, it adds to the nostalgia effect. Always love a tri- power!

Yup....... 10:30pm last night, hanging with some friends and net surfing, when my good buddy says, "Ya know Fred, it's like you're rebuilding your old car. You should call it "Miss Behavin'". That idea lasted about 5 minutes. "Miss Behavin'" was my first Hot Rod and I loved the journey. But I made a LOT of mistakes and lost a LOT of money having to redo things. But she was a learning experience. I'm glad I kept notes and pics. I've used them to stop myself from repeating those same mistakes. So, "Black Dahlia" she'll stay.

This morning, a day off, my mind wandered to exhaust systems. I fell in love with my Lake headers, but I was think of something a little different this time. But it my not be feasible due to space consideration. I could do it for a lot less than the cost of Lake headers, but I'll need a rolling chassis to check for fit. Hmm.......

Are you sure you want to name your car after one of the most brutal murders in history?

Elizabeth Short - "Black Dahlia".

That's some bad Ju-Ju.

Are you sure you want to name your car after one of the most brutal murders in history?

Elizabeth Short - "Black Dahlia".

That's some bad Ju-Ju.

That name has been used for a few cars and I'm not superstitious.

Reactions: RPM
I'm reposting Resinators in my build thread, where I'll have them handy. The are the location of the transmission cross member and the motor mount.

"So here are the dimensions off the Extended body frame we have fully assembled in the back.
All these are from the top of the main rail where it meets the 45* kick-up

To the back side of the 1.5"x 3" transmission crossmember = 21 5/8"

To the pedal pivot centerline of the master cylinder bracket = 41 1/2"
(down 2" from top of frame to C/L pivot)

To the center of the motor mount bracket on the frame = 63 3/4"
(down 5/8" from top of frame in front, tip downhill toward rear 3-4 degrees)

These dimensions are out of our fixture so our long body fitment will be correct.
There is room to go forward 1/2" on the motor and trans dimension if you want more clearance at the distributor and steering box but do not move the brake pedal bracket"

Fred , look at the last pic that 409T posted in the tunnel ram discussion , that's a CCR motor mount & due to the design is likely where you lost 1 1/2" in your "stack" of measurements...
dave

Fred , look at the last pic that 409T posted in the tunnel ram discussion , that's a CCR motor mount & due to the design is likely where you lost 1 1/2" in your "stack" of measurements...
dave

Yea, that's what Resinator and I posted in the Cross Member thread. It was actually 1 3/8" and when I compensated for it in my "STACK":rolleyes: of measurements, everything worked out. Thanks for looking out!:D

Playing with numbers is fun for me. I do it at work every day. I guess it's kinda like playing with fiberglass or working a piece of metal all day. Everybody has something they enjoy doing, even when it doesn't make sense to the observer. ;)

Back at 'cha!:D

Last edited:
Next step....... rear suspension. Notice the placement and angle of CCR's radius rods. VERY nice. I'm hoping to have Ron's kit by the 1st of next month.

full

Last edited:
That cat looks like Henry, our cat, who happens to be sting in the porch swing with me, lol

Cool! It's a Ninja Kitty.;D Felt like I needed a laugh.

full

Back on track. While this isn't mine, but mine will be similar. Today, I got all the measurements for mounting my brackets on my frame, from Resinator. This way, I won't need an engine & transmission as a mock up to weld in my brackets, Next will be my rear suspension pieces from Ron. With the info I got today came a lot of much needed motivation. It's great to begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I sure like the looks of those engine mounts

I like the "biscuit" style too. I've never used them, but a lot of people do. They look plenty strong.

full

Sources for SBC and th350 dimensions. This looks to be with the short water pump, which is 5.625". Making the SBC 27.405" from fan mount to end of the block. Also note the 4* inclination needed to get the carb level.

full

Transmission Dimensions - TCI® Auto

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back