Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Yes, we have many different ones. The 39805 is mainly designed for the TH350 and a few others using the adjustable tabs on your crossmember. The straighter one is for the TH400 and most of the overdrives. We also have a universal one we use in our Model A's that fits on a 1.5" x 3" or 2" x 3" tube. The 39805 is the one we would use for your set-up.
Sorry the earlier posts were vague, I thought you already had the drop-out.
Universal Trans Mount  GM.jpg

Sorry the earlier posts were vague, I thought you already had the drop-out.

No, but I'll be ordering 39805 soon. Thanks for the help.

Got off early today because the company is cutting down on over time.:mad: So, I decided to clean the rear end housing in preparation for a good grinding, when I get all my brackets. A scrapper and cleaning solvent made quick work of it. I also sprayed the drum assemblies with brake cleaner.

full

full

full

Man, wish I could have been there to help with that job...NAWT.. I like the finned brake drums that came on that.

Man, wish I could have been there to help with that job...NAWT.. I like the finned brake drums that came on that.

It really was't as bad as I thought. A scrapper, solvent and a wire brush for the tight spots and I was done in a hours time.

Okay, a day off and I was up early in an attempt at beating the heat and humidity. My effort was futile. The heat index at 8am was 80! My project was to further clean the rear end. I used a wire wheel and got to work. She cleaned up very well. I skipped the backing plates because they were in good shape. The rear end cover will get replaced with a chrome piece, so I didn't bother with it either. My main concern was the center section and the tubes.

full

full

Since I'm going to need more time to gather the rest of my brackets (I added a panhard bar from CCR), I decided to give her a very light coat of primer to ward off surface rust, so my work wouldn't be wasted. The main enemy of bare metal in Houston is our outrageous humidity. On a bad day, you can literally watch rust form on bare metal. When it's time to weld on the brackets, I'll clean the paint off as needed.

Afterwards, I placed it on a cart and wheeled the rear end under the frame to get an idea of fitment. Everything looked good. Using the same wheel and tire sizes as last time, I should clear the body and everything will tuck right in.

full

full

And the color is going to be?????

Black. Chassis, body, engine, transmission, rear end, suspension.... Black. Interior will be blood red.

I started using a chemical called phosfo on bare parts because I've had primered items rust, unless it's a sealer. It's frustrating to pull parts out that you spent hours prepping to have to do it over...been there. Also white vinegar will kill the rust.

I started using a chemical called phosfo on bare parts because I've had primered items rust, unless it's a sealer. It's frustrating to pull parts out that you spent hours prepping to have to do it over...been there. Also white vinegar will kill the rust.

I considered other options, but since it's only going to a month or less, I should be okay. Any longer and I would have moved to something better. I've never heard of using white vinegar. I'll remember that.:)

I have always been told anything with Zinc oxide will stop rust from forming. I think there is a few pray on products out there with different names but they all have the same main ingredient.
A weldable primer with that would be perfect but I don't know if it would effect the weld.

I considered other options, but since it's only going to a month or less, I should be okay. Any longer and I would have moved to something better. I've never heard of using white vinegar. I'll remember that.:)
I learned that one from an old timer truck driver who used to deliver for a steel plant, Ohio steel, he said they "pickled" it, I thought he was full of it, but it really works. I used to use it in the shop when we were doing body work. I don't know how long it lasts, but it prevents flash rust like from humidity, hand prints, etc.

Picklex 20 is the stuff. I have used it and it works great.

picklex20.com

Wow! That does sound like good stuff. I'll see about ordering some. Thanks!

Rolled out what I have at the shop and just..... day dreamed for a bit. Oh, that 2"x4" near the kick.... it's for making VVROOOM! sounds.:D

full

full

Last edited:
Looks like that frame could use some rust inhibitor. That's how stuff gets here in Ohio too. The temp changes so much everything acts like a condencer and accumulates moisture.

Looks like that frame could use some rust inhibitor. That's how stuff gets here in Ohio too. The temp changes so much everything acts like a condencer and accumulates moisture.

I'm going to do that, when I'm done writing measurements all over it.:D

Hey, where did those shock/headlight mounts come from? I am liking the looks of those.

I got them from Speedway, but Ron has them too. I got mine before I found that out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back