Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Zandoz, I get this image of you cruising and your dogs tongue and ears flappin' in the wind, and it's cool, man.:cool:

Definitely a cool image. Wife must think so to...she keeps saying that I need to get busy because Sassy (our Dalmatian) wants a ride.

The idea I had for that style of seat was to build a base about 3.00" tall. I'd go with the doorless body. At 24.00" long, I don't think they'll fit inside the CCR interior frame work. Then, make a top and mount the racing seats to that. It would also be possible to have the top in two pieces, so the whole top wouldn't need to be removed to get underneath. The base would be level, since the back angle is built into the seats. At 9 lbs. each, even if they were mounted to a one piece top, it would still be light enough for easy removal. Individually, it would be even easier.

If I did split them, I could make a flat piece to fit on the passenger seats place. I'd have a sort of package shelf, next to the drivers seat. Right now, I'm just looking at options. But, amazingly, these vintage racing seats are actually cheaper than Bomber seats! But, that nice padding is priced accordingly. I haven't sat in that style of seat or it's padding, so I have no idea about the comfort level. But what I do know, is that they're the "look" I was wanting, if I went with a racing style seat.
I had the 16" high back Kirkey seat in the race car, comfortable seat and those are the seats (low back) that I plan for my bucket. The padding is ok for a while but not very thick at all (maybe 1/4"-1/2"), my driver used to put a square of foam under the padding. The only other consideration is the area where the seat rolls in at the rib area, it can be snug. I can fit in the 16" seat fine but don't like the snugness. I hope to be able to go with 18" for comforts sake, but if not 16 will suffice. I'm 5' 11" 225.

I had the 16" high back Kirkey seat in the race car, comfortable seat and those are the seats (low back) that I plan for my bucket. The padding is ok for a while but not very thick at all (maybe 1/4"-1/2"), my driver used to put a square of foam under the padding. The only other consideration is the area where the seat rolls in at the rib area, it can be snug. I can fit in the 16" seat fine but don't like the snugness. I hope to be able to go with 18" for comforts sake, but if not 16 will suffice. I'm 5' 11" 225.

I'm skinny as a rail, 180 and going with the 18.00" seat. If I go this route, I'll find a source for extra foam, if I need it. Shouldn't be too hard. But like I've said before, bucket seats are just an option I'm exploring. When the body is sitting in front of me, that's when the final decision will be made.

I second the dog and me scenario! Even though the door, seat, etc are to make the T doable for my petite wife, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that other than a rare occasion, it will be me and my pal, Sprocket, my 135 pound American Bandogge, cruising the scene! Wifey just wants to keep her options open, but the wind in her hair is the deal breaker...so she will just have to give the pouting look as I leave the driveway without her, lol! Make the dog happy! He's the one who will show the most gratitude anyways!

I second the dog and me scenario! Even though the door, seat, etc are to make the T doable for my petite wife, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that other than a rare occasion, it will be me and my pal, Sprocket, my 135 pound American Bandogge, cruising the scene! Wifey just wants to keep her options open, but the wind in her hair is the deal breaker...so she will just have to give the pouting look as I leave the driveway without her, lol! Make the dog happy! He's the one who will show the most gratitude anyways!

Fletch, in all fairness, you get her to take that first ride and she'll be hooked. Here's the scene. Y'all back out of the drive way. Neighbors are looking from windows. You won't see 'em, but she will. The VERY first intersection, someone will give you BOTH a thumbs up or ask what year it is. She'll be liking it. When you stop for gas and walk out.... let her go before you. She'll be telling everyone about the car SHE and YOU built together. At that point, she's LOVING it.;) Been there, done THAT. A ride in a T Bucket changes folks.

Fletch, in all fairness, you get her to take that first ride and she'll be hooked. Here's the scene. Y'all back out of the drive way. Neighbors are looking from windows. You won't see 'em, but she will. The VERY first intersection, someone will give you BOTH a thumbs up or ask what year it is. She'll be liking it. When you stop for gas and walk out.... let her go before you. She'll be telling everyone about the car SHE and YOU built together.;) Been there, done THAT. A ride in a T Bucket changes folks.
Hope your right, she used to love all things me, but that was before I swallowed the hook, lol... Just kidding, she's a great gal, Hell, she's a saint to put up with me! She hates the bikes and ragtops due to the hair thing... I told her she is going to wake up bald, she then reminded me of the Loraina Bobbit story.....

Whoa....... Okay, man. Good luck with allllllll THAT.

After a bit of looking, I'll be going with CCR's panard bar set up. With a minor mod, it should mount great. The panard bar set up, the transmission drop out and a few brake line tabs will or should complete the parts list for my frame brackets

full

full

Ahh...... a moment of clarity! Thanks, Resinator.

full

I like the wheels more forward and car lower but that is different.

It's built in the traditional style. This is a "Gow Job" or Jalopy. Built in a pre-WWII style. I like it because it shows that a lot of flash isn't needed to have fun. Reminds me to keep things simple.

Today at work, one of the guys asked how my build was going. After a brief run down. I started to laugh... out loud. (I do that sometimes). I told him I felt like Professor Fate. He didn't get it and I had to explain. He's twenty-something. He still didn't really "get it". So, here's a clip of one of my favorite cars. I was a kid, when this movie came out, but in TV runs, I fell in love with it. And yes, I AM Professor Fate and here's my Hannibal Twin 8!:D From the movie, "The Great Race".

GAWD, I hate waiting for the brown truck!:D Here, my wheel choice......again.

full

GAWD, I hate waiting for the brown truck!:D Here, my wheel choice......again.

full
Funny, the brown truck driver has become sort of involved in my build due to his many visits... He insists on getting out and spending a few minutes checking out progress, or lack thereof... As much as I've spent on shipping, they should sponsor my build!

Funny, the brown truck driver has become sort of involved in my build due to his many visits... He insists on getting out and spending a few minutes checking out progress, or lack thereof... As much as I've spent on shipping, they should sponsor my build!

Isn't it great when someone relates to something you are doing. Its hard to get a thank you these days, let alone someone interested in something that doesn't benefit them in some way or another.

Got home from and the UPS driver was just pulling away.:D I took no time in unwrapping my parts and mocking them up. ANOTHER set of quality made parts to my specifications. THANKS, RON!!

full

full

I had wanted to keep the OEM brake line tabs on the axle, but I was concerned with where the lower shock mounts would end. It looks like I'll be able to keep them.

full

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back