Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

When I surveyed the damage from my wreck, 3 of the four clevis pins, on the front end, had snapped. The forth was close. Clevis pins are a false sense of security. IMO. I'll never use them! EVER.

I have pondered the use of clevis pins also, seems to me a solid mount point (I get it, y'all use clevis pins) would somewhat bind the suspension. I chalked it up to they have been doing it on t buckets forever. The car in my avatar is a dirt modified, we use heims throughout the entire suspension, 90% of which are single shear. We have taken 80 mph direct hits to the suspension and I have yet to see a heim end fail. I have seen them bent into the shape of a j and stay intact with the RR, and I have also seen the RR snap in two and the heim is still connected to the mount point and RR. Suffice it to say I doubt I would have any misgivings about using heims on a single shear on a car this light, providing that the mounts are solid and well gusseted, given they can take the abuse on a dirt track with a 2300 lb car throwing alot more stress at it than any road (well maybe not our PA roads lol) As was mentioned though, make sure you use a containment washer out the outboard side of the heim.......

I have pondered the use of clevis pins also, seems to me a solid mount point (I get it, y'all use clevis pins) would somewhat bind the suspension. I chalked it up to they have been doing it on t buckets forever. The car in my avatar is a dirt modified, we use heims throughout the entire suspension, 90% of which are single shear. We have taken 80 mph direct hits to the suspension and I have yet to see a heim end fail. I have seen them bent into the shape of a j and stay intact with the RR, and I have also seen the RR snap in two and the heim is still connected to the mount point and RR. Suffice it to say I doubt I would have any misgivings about using heims on a single shear on a car this light, providing that the mounts are solid and well gusseted, given they can take the abuse on a dirt track with a 2300 lb car throwing alot more stress at it than any road (well maybe not our PA roads lol) As was mentioned though, make sure you use a containment washer out the outboard side of the heim.......

Thanks, that's what I found. In a lot of racing applications a rigid mount on a suspension is ridiculous. IMO, from what I've found, clevis pins are a cheap form of security. Over the last 30 years, technology has advanced on Heim's and the mention of a 2 movement "clevis PIN" is crazy at best and antiquated . The numbers are there. Folks just have to "Google it".

Thanks, that's what I found. In a lot of racing applications a rigid mount on a suspension is ridiculous. IMO, from what I've found, clevis pins are a cheap form of security. Over the last 30 years, technology has advanced on Heim's and the mention of a 2 movement "clevis PIN" is crazy at best and antiquated . The numbers are there. Folks just have to "Google it".
Maybe it was used because, frankly, a clevis is purdier than a heim?

Maybe it was used because, frankly, a clevis is purdier than a heim?

Hey! That's what the guys in the magazines use! They've gotta be good!................BULL SHIT.

These little jems here will prevent binding the body of the heim against the mount. You may or may not need them. A-1 RACING PRODUCTS INC.

I have a set of those already......like 2 months ago........... planning and research, man.

I bow to your vast fabricating & design experience , we should all hope to grow as wise as yourself !!

Well.......... thanks! LMFAO It's nice of YOU to be a true P.A.L.

Lol.....Moving along..... my land lords welder won't work. :mad: Which is actually a good thing. I've still got a couple brackets I need, so when I get those, I'll tack everything at one sitting. In the mean time.......

So, I got off my lazy ass and fixed the ARC welder. Then, I tacked in some of the brackets I had. I must admit, I had forgotten how much I enjoy welding. The temptation to weld everything solid was strong.

full

full

Last edited:
Hell yea, weld er up! Make sure you have it how you want it. You can always cut em off if you have to, not the preferred method, lol! Truth be told, every welder fabricator has a supply of cut off wheels to erase and start over!... I actually like to stick weld and torch braze best of all methods. Probably because that was the first and most prominent type that I have done. There is something about the smell, sound, and feel of melting steel with a rod.

Reactions: RPM

Is that a Speedway pedal assembly? It looks like one, but it also seems like the pedal arm sits farther out from the frame rail than they claim.

Is that a Speedway pedal assembly? It looks like one, but it also seems like the pedal arm sits farther out from the frame rail than they claim.

No. I got it from CCR. It's mounted per CCR's plans and instructions. 2.00" below the fame rail to compensate for the cover.

Hell yea, weld er up! Make sure you have it how you want it. You can always cut em off if you have to, not the preferred method, lol! Truth be told, every welder fabricator has a supply of cut off wheels to erase and start over!... I actually like to stick weld and torch braze best of all methods. Probably because that was the first and most prominent type that I have done. There is something about the smell, sound, and feel of melting steel with a rod.

My land lord said the same thing........ in his way, of course. It you look at the pics, I have everything measured out. If it's wrong.....I'll scratch my head, remeasure and weld it again.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back