Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Another forward step. You going thru the frame, or tab mounts for the front of the hairpin mounts?

I have tabs for the frame mounting. Right now, I'm tossing around the idea of getting a cheap flux core welder to tack my brackets in place. That way, everything will be in place, when I get ready to use my buddies MIG welder.

Fred, I had a friend that added gas to a flux core welder for cheap. I'll find out how if you are interested.

I looked at the several videos on Youtube and if I was doing more than tacks, it would be worth it. But since I'm not running actual beads. I should be okay.

It's your project, your money, and your choice, but if you are just doing tacks, a arc welder would be a better choice, from my experience. Better penetration, likely less expensive if you buy used, than a limited use low amp flux core mig, and more useful. Just a thought. Hell, you can arc weld with a car battery, I've seen it done.

It's your project, your money, and your choice, but if you are just doing tacks, a arc welder would be a better choice, from my experience. Better penetration, likely less expensive if you buy used, than a limited use low amp flux core mig, and more useful. Just a thought. Hell, you can arc weld with a car battery, I've seen it done.

Interesting that you mentioned that. My land lord has an ARC welder. It looks like it's older than I am and he just built a freakin' 16'x20' gate with it! Damn, once again, a solution is just friends away. Thanks! For waking me up.

Just have to be careful on those axle's, I don't think I would use a stick on those even for tacking.

Yup.... got it. Thanks. It would be for my my frame pieces.

Well axles are thinner than they look and if you are not right practiced up you could warp them or even burn through if its not something your familiar with.
Mig is a bit more forgiving.

Well axles are thinner than they look and if you are not right practiced up you could warp them or even burn through if its not something your familiar with.
Mig is a bit more forgiving.

Thanks. I've done MIG work on sheet metal, so I'm familiar with using it on thin Materials. I'll MIG the rear end period.

Just have to be careful on those axle's, I don't think I would use a stick on those even for tacking.
Just do a little research and choose the correct rod and amperage, you will be fine. As with all things welding, prep makes all the difference. As for the axle tubes, I've done brackets on them with both, like sheet metal, short, spread out welds create less distortion. Get in a hurry and it will likely bite you.

Thanks.

No clevis pin! Yup......

full

Using "heims" on the rear rad. rod brackets really should be in "double shear" as to not side load the brackets ..IMO

I hear what you are saying, but there are how many thousands of cars out there with heims on the front of radius rods, in single shear.
Not arguing that , but they're normally fairly heavy plate mounted to the frame in such a manner as to resist "twisting"... 6 of 1...1/2 dozen of the other ....

Don't forget to put a washer larger than the ball to keep the heim attached if it pulls out. Not much side load on radius rods so not to worry. I'm with Ron on that.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back