Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Reactions: RPM
I just did an old school test. BFH. The tacks passed and I'll weld everything up tomorrow.

Back in the ole days, when all I had was an Arc Welder, I welded everything with it, and never had a failure. They even looked good. All I have now is a Tig and Mig, and I miss my old crackerbox. Just having the correct rod for the job is half the success.

First weld in over 15 years with a stick. Used stick as penetration is so good.

First weld in over 15 years with a stick. Used stick as penetration is so good.

I feel the same about stick welding. When I have to weld something that is heavy and must be strong, I prefer to ark weld. Maybe it's just because I spent years doing it everyday on I beams, etc, I don't know. I like the mig for most general stuff like thinner plate, angle, sheet metal, etc. I feel like the mig over penetrates in a smaller area and I have to compensate by cranking up the wire speed, so I then get more weld build and less blend. I prefer the milder, broader penetration of the stick that allows me to better blend the metals when welding thicker material. Just MY preference. I'm sure technique is key, I go with what I'm comfortable and proficient with.

No. I got it from CCR. It's mounted per CCR's plans and instructions. 2.00" below the fame rail to compensate for the cover.
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a pedal assembly that keeps the pedal arm as close to the side of the frame rail as possible. If Speedway's Q&A is to be trusted, their
Universal T-Bucket Brake Pedal Kit at .707" from the frame rail, is the best I've found. Unfortunately, I've found their specs unreliable.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a pedal assembly that keeps the pedal arm as close to the side of the frame rail as possible. If Speedway's Q&A is to be trusted, their
Universal T-Bucket Brake Pedal Kit at .707" from the frame rail, is the best I've found. Unfortunately, I've found their specs unreliable.
Built my own with angle and tubing. Not pretty, but works. Only mistake was not putting a grea
Scan17_0017_0001-1.jpg

Built my own with angle and tubing. Not pretty, but works. Only mistake was not putting a grea

Scan17_0017_0001-1.jpg

I made my own.

Me too, couldn't find a off the shelf part, or at least it was simpler to just build it than spend hours researching. I have an extra pedal though.

If this were 35 years ago, building my own would have been a no brainer. I would have cut and bent the relevant pieces, jumped in my car and taken everything to a member of our extended family's welding shop, and came home with the pedal assembly looking professionally fabricated. In the 35 years since I have done no fab work, and all of my tools, benches, vises, anvils, clamps, etc have been stolen or mistakenly given away to relatives (long story). I would LOVE to get back into doing fab work, but getting equipped to do so for this one last bucket list project just isn't practical. I just have to work with off the shelf components wherever remotely possible. :(

If this were 35 years ago, building my own would have been a no brainer. I would have cut and bent the relevant pieces, jumped in my car and taken everything to a member of our extended family's welding shop, and came home with the pedal assembly looking professionally fabricated. In the 35 years since I have done no fab work, and all of my tools, benches, vises, anvils, clamps, etc have been stolen or mistakenly given away to relatives (long story). I would LOVE to get back into doing fab work, but getting equipped to do so for this one last bucket list project just isn't practical. I just have to work with off the shelf components wherever remotely possible. :(
I get it, my reply wasn't intended to be anything but conversation. I hope you can work everything out and I would help you if I could.

I get it, my reply wasn't intended to be anything but conversation. I hope you can work everything out and I would help you if I could.
No worries....I took none of your or the other folks comments as negative in any way. I was just letting folks know where I'm coming from.

Believe me, I appreciate all the advice and and encouragement you've given me.

Wow! What a long, relaxing trip its been!

Okay........ the company I work for got bought out and the new owners have the "bean counters" going crazy. They're trying to fit a 10 hour day into 7 hours. Crazy. So far, it's not working too well and conditions are tense, to say the least. So, a few weeks ago, I checked my books and had some vacation time stored up. A talk with a lady friend, who has a time share on South Padre, netted a super relaxing escape. One of her conditions was.... NO LAPTOP! So, I left it and talk about T Buckets behind.

Upon my return, I felt relaxed and recharged. Then, Ron called and said he had called the cops to do a "welfare check". :eek: I had him call off the dogs. So, I stayed off the internet, until today. I've been working and welding. The MIG welder plan fell through, as my buddy is too busy to have me take over his shop for a day or more. That I understood. He's in business and I'm just having fun. So, I dug up my welding books and pulled out my land lords ARC welder.

Having been schooled in welding pipe, I found that trying to do 6 or more passes with 7018 rods wasn't going to be the plan with my frame and brackets. They're just too thin for that many passes. So, I ended up using 6018 1/8" rods. I played around with the AMP's and while the beads aren't pretty, the penetration is excellent. I'm confident that everything done so far is there forever. That beats looks in my book. As usual for me, the last few welds came out really nice. Practice makes perfect. Or at least presentable :rolleyes:

Everything is welded up, except for the panhard bar, which I'm going to order today and the brackets for the rear radius rods. I won't be able to do the rear radius rod brackets, until I get the rear shock mounts and check fitment for the rearend, etc. I'll be ordering the shock brackets today, as well. I'm still down loading pics, so they'll be op soon. Be patient.

Taking a break was great. I missed you guys.......... for the first 3 days.:D

Reactions: RPM
Here's some pics.

full

full

full

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back