Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Lookin' good Fred

Today the rear shock mounts came. I needed them to set the location of my rear end and the radius rod mounts. First, I made sure both radius rods were the same length. Then I mounted the shocks in their location. I mounted the radius rods and used tape to mark the frame. Now, truth be told, this was a LONG drawn out affair. My level, angle and a length of string got a work out. And as always, at the point of giving up, the last time was a charm.

When the panhard bar and mounts arrived, they'll be welded in. Along with the rear radius rod mounts and the radiator tabs. Then, the chassis will be complete and I'll get started on the spindles and brakes.

So, here are the pics of today's progress.

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/tfeverfred/media/IMG_1545_zps1jaxh5fm.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/tfeverfred/media/IMG_1547_zpsvudobz0p.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/tfeverfred/media/IMG_1548_zpsq82jyopj.jpg.html]
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
I attempted to grind a couple welds and the result was a little smoothing in preparation for bondo to make everything pleasing to the eye. I'll take my time doing this as the focus of my mind and wallet are shifting to the engine. My engine guy was pleased that I was just about done with the chassis. He knows I'll be contributing more to his bank account. Plus, I'm dying to post a "first start up" video.:D

Oh...... I can hear your fingers on your keyboard. Those shocks are for LAYOUT PURPOSE ONLY. I'm going with a set of coil overs.;)

Nice to see the brackets rounded into the cross member for a change. Look ultra neat.

Reactions: RPM
So, I had to work on "LABOR DAY"! Double time means more parts. That's what I kept telling myself all day. :D I'll be ordering the panhard bar in a couple days and welding as soon as it arrive. Now, I'm gonna go throw a steak on the grill. I deserve it.

Back when I was still working I worked about every holiday that I could. I would get my holiday pay which was a regular days pay but by working it I got double pay on top of that. That is like triple time which I really liked. Being that my wife was always a stay at home mom it really helped out, especially when it came time to put our two sons through out of state colleges. Now that I'm retired I can really enjoy the holidays.

Jim

Jim, I thought every day was a holiday when your retired. I even loose track of what day it is. I have a day for mowing, which is about a 3 hour job. Saturdays are car show days One morning is breakfast with the ole pharts. Mean while, back to Freds build..sorry.

Oh here's a tip for you guys planning to run a S10 rear end. That dolly mine is resting on came from Loews hardware. It was $20. The cool thing about is, when you place the rear end on it, the pinion hangs on one side and gives you a 3 degrees incline. Also, when it came time to mount Ron's shock brackets, the brackets fit up to the tubes and just barely touch the floor and at a 90 degree angle.

Oh here's a tip for you guys planning to run a S10 rear end. That dolly mine is resting on came from Loews hardware. It was $20. The cool thing about is, when you place the rear end on it, the pinion hangs on one side and gives you a 3 degrees incline. Also, when it came time to mount Ron's shock brackets, the brackets fit up to the tubes and just barely touch the floor and at a 90 degree angle.

Ever since I first saw your use of the dollies, I've been working on ways for me to use them. What I have come up with is a series of A-frames to mount on the dollies. one to hold the frame at the intended ride height. Another to hold it at a height that I can work around the frame from my wheelchair. A third set to hold it on it's side at "work on" height.

This morning I ordered Ron's panhard bar. As usual, I needed a slight modification and Ron will oblige. CCR's panhard bar is a very nice unit, after some measuring, it wouldn't fit my frame. If you look at my rear cross bar, you'll see how close it is to the rear end housing. I measured about 1". Since my shocks will be 12 3/8" at ride height, CCR's panhard bar just wouldn't have the room to mount correctly and safely. Here's a pic, I'll take a better one later.

Here are the pics of my rear crossbar and rear end clearance.

full

full

full

I'm considering moving my rear end forward about an inch. That should give me a tad more clearance.

Okay, moving my rear end assembly forward gave more clearance, but it also moved the shocks forward at what I consider a bad angle. So, I'm keeping things the way they were and will probably end up using rear shocks with a ride height a little taller. Maybe 13 1/2"

Last edited:
Are you going Bob tail Fred?

If you mean no P/U bed, yes. Ron doesn't know it yet, but when the time comes, he'll be cutting me a pair of cool gas tank brackets.;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back