Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Complete Rewire Project

I've been holding off ordering more wire and terminals from DelCity.com, because
they sometimes send me an email with 15% off. But I was out of time and decided
to go ahead with my order. When I got the website, EVERYTHING was 20% off ......
I must be living right!!! :)

I ordered four more 100 foot reels of 16 AWG, this will give me all seven possible
colors in both 16 and 14 AWG. I also got some terminals and shrink tubing etc.

View attachment 11174
View attachment 11173

You did GOOD if it was a good price. Copper wire has gone UP!!

You did GOOD if it was a good price. Copper wire has gone UP!!

One hundred foot roll of 16 AWG was $11.78, so with the 20% discount that makes it $9.24 or 0.0924 cents per foot.

Is that a good price, I wouldn't know myself?

Looks like enough wire to do a dozen T's , you going into business ???:rolleyes:
dave

I hope to do more wiring, I kinda like it so far. Buying 100 foot rolls is the smallest quantity to get a decent price. Besides a friend might need some help and I will be ready. I bought the ring connectors in their smallest number, 100 at a time. When I get started I don't want to stop for some little dingy .02 part.

Besides it's getting warm here and it's time to ride !!!;):) Last summer was the first time in 15 years, I don't plan on missing another summer!

I hope to do more wiring, I kinda like it so far. Buying 100 foot rolls is the smallest quantity to get a decent price. Besides a friend might need some help and I will be ready. I bought the ring connectors in their smallest number, 100 at a time. When I get started I don't want to stop for some little dingy .02 part.

Besides it's getting warm here and it's time to ride !!!;):) Last summer was the first time in 15 years, I don't plan on missing another summer!

A friend in need needs a friend like you!! You're a glutton for punishment if you enjoy wiring!!

Reactions: RPM
Hey, I like wiring too! It's my second favorite thing, right behind crawling naked thru 50 yards of burning gasoline and broken glass (old Johnny Carson line).

I miss Johnny! hehehe

Hey, I like wiring too! It's my second favorite thing, right behind crawling naked thru 50 yards of burning gasoline and broken glass (old Johnny Carson line).

You're a glutton for punishment too!! I don't want to do anything that hurts anymore!!

Del City is my favorite wire and terminal supplier. Had a business account there for years. Some of their tools are a bit high, but check them out if you need wiring stuff.

These two drawings were actually my first two drawings when I started planning
this project. The drawing below shows everything under the seat and is drawn to
scale. This helped me to decided to remove part of the two vertical braces shown
in the drawing.

UnderSeatWiringLayout02.jpg

I'm switching gears now and trying to go from the theoretical to the physical part
of the project. It's one thing to have it on paper, but now I have to actual run
wires and make physical connection. The drawing below tries to show where parts
are located in a general sense so I can begin to count the number of wires to run to
each location.

OverheadLayoutWiringDiagram01.jpg

I enjoyed designing and making my electric system. Started playing with electronics when I was 11 or 12. Everything had vacuum tubes back then. Transistor radios were just coming into the market and a really good one had six transistors.

Man I remember Heathkits. I built a VOM Meter, Radios, a Tachometer and other neat stuff. My buddy and I built a radio that would pick up the Ohio State Patrol. Never got it down sized to make it mobile.

Knight Kits and Heathkits. My grandpa, an engineer, would give me one for birthday and Xmas. Then I started buying them. Still have most of them; shortwave radio, RC checker (with the cool Magic Eye), oscilloscope. I built the Hero-1 robot and sold it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for locating the different components. I just don't know where to start my thought process. You can see this drawing is pretty crowded.

For the AQ-1 most people are not going to be familar with, but most of the 10-12 wires go to sensors located on the engine, carburetor and trans.

There are three holes, but the oval shaped hole for the shifter cable is the only one that cannot be moved, the other two holes can be plug and drilled else where. Everything is very accurately drawn to scale.

I will be running wires for the headlights up both sides instead of crossing over at the front.

Any ideas where to start guys!

UnderSeatWiringLayout02.jpg

Does it help any to say I feel your pain?
P1010753.JPG

Get a big piece of paper, draw each component on it and draw all the wires between them. Give you a feel for what should be close and what doesn't matter. Then after you've arranged things and start wiring, use tie wraps or something to route wires in bundles so they don't cross over components. I used the Panduit at the bottom of my panel and ran all the wires thru it. Snap on the cover and the mess is hidden.

Does it help any to say I feel your pain?

Get a big piece of paper, draw each component on it and draw all the wires between them. Give you a feel for what should be close and what doesn't matter. Then after you've arranged things and start wiring, use tie wraps or something to route wires in bundles so they don't cross over components. I used the Panduit at the bottom of my panel and ran all the wires thru it. Snap on the cover and the mess is hidden.
So you feel my pain, it helps alittle for a short time .... ooops it gone already. But it did help some!!! :whistling:

I kept thinking what circuits are coming in from the right/left side and what components needed to be on that side. But I think you might be on to something, there is lot more wiring between the components then coming in from the outside. Outside being other than under the seat.

BTW, I have saved several of your electrical photos for inspiration!!! If you will notice I have space down the middle of my components for the Panduit idea.

Thanks again for all your help and even when you weren't trying to help but posting your experiences, they have helped tremendously!!!

Jeeez...compared to my '66 corvair fuse boxx [w/glass fuses] you guys are like star wars..:eek:
dave
My first bucket's wiring system was an ignition switch, a toggle switch for the lights and a fuse block with 3 glass fuses. Then I had the lobotomy, and things got...weird.

My first bucket's wiring system was an ignition switch, a toggle switch for the lights and a fuse block with 3 glass fuses. Then I had the lobotomy, and things got...weird.

I had one[lobotomy] too, when things went way past simple. KISS method for me!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back