Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

overheating problem

On the manifold side it's the bottom of the ports that don't line up.
Sorry about no pics. I always forget to take them.

Okay is there a gap that won't seal, or is it just the port blocking some of the port on the head side?

If its just a bit of blockage, if you have not port matched the gaskets to the manifold that's going to happen. That's why I was asking whats not lining up.

Okay is there a gap that won't seal, or is it just the port blocking some of the port on the head side?

If its just a bit of blockage, if you have not port matched the gaskets to the manifold that's going to happen. That's why I was asking whats not lining up.

oh ok. They gaskets I got have an orange ring around each of the ports on the manifold side.
That ring sits into the port and not on the manifold. errrr. Give me a bit here, I'll take a pic. :)

Well, theres been a problem from overseas manufacturers on some of these cheap intakes. A customer of mine dropped off a motor that he wanted me to stick together for him, since he's off on the road racing, and among the things he left at my shop was a cheap overseas intake. I can't say any names, but the intake track had a coreshift of about 1/4 of of inch....had to get a new one....

Sorry, Didn't get a chance to take a pic.. But I went to speedway on my lunch hour and got the new gasket. The one I had was bad. Holes were off.
New one lines up correct on the manifold where I had it marked to line up.
I'll test fit it on the car when I get home later. I should be good now. I HOPE. (cross my fingers) :)

woohoo!

One step closer

"woohoo" a little soon. :-(

Cleaned, Cleaned, Cleaned!! Then I got it back together. Manifold fits perfect, by-pass working.

Redid the setup on the efi. Started the car.
It has a bad miss, and it pops and back fires. Gets worse if I give it try to give it gas.

Good news It don't leak oil, and don't overheat. :)

I didn't think of this. But since I'm running vortec heads. Should my plugs be for them?
Or at least the gap. I have it set per the plug specs .044, but for my old setup.
I looked up plugs for a 97 tohoe and the gap is .060.

Go with whatever the ignition you are using recommends. .045 is pretty standard, .060 only if your ignition setup can use it.

Unless you squashed a gap putting a plug in, pretty sure it won't make it miss being a bit tight. ( .045 v .060)

But at least now that you have the intake all set, you can start sorting out the performance.

Why not? Isn't that the point of discussing it, so other people don't make the same mistake? I go to great lengths not to buy Chinese junk, but sometimes I get fooled. It's helpful to know which companies are bringing this crap to market.
Well, its like this. I have signed contracts, confidentially statements, theres certain things I can't do, like have photos taken around my shop because of any one time theres always a race car/motor in the shop to be worked on, certain cars have certain sponsors, and I can't say certain things because some of the teams I work for have certain sponsors. We're bound by contract.

But I can say this, if you get a unbelievable deal, no brand names are on it, and its at a good price, chances are its made overseas. Not all things bad are from overseas.
The japanese way back when made thing pretty cheap. They got better, now they put out high quality stuff. Korean stuff was like that, now they put out pretty high quality stuff. Now, the same thing from the chinese. Hell, alot of our fighter parts are made over there, even our missiles, who would've thunk.....
Anyway, if you find something is pretty cheap, price wise, chances are its chinese, which is not necessarily a bad thing.They can make quality parts, its when the American Co.'s want things super cheap things to sell to the US Market. They don't have any problem making Smart Phones, alot of the computer stuff is made over there.
There are alot of hotrod parts made over there, so, they'll get better with time as people complain. They'll gradually increase in quality until they're like the Japanese....
We've made them into the big power they are. They don't want to fight us and be our enemy's, there would not be any profit in it for them. We are they're biggest customer!
They are even soon scheduled to start selling some of their cars over here. Does the memory of the Yugo's pop into anyones mind? But their's will be better.:rolleyes::whistling:

It has a bad miss, and it pops and back fires. Gets worse if I give it try to give it gas.

Plugs and gaps are a definite possibility for the miss. BUT, don't overlook calling your EFI mfg'er and talking about their troubleshooting procedures. They'll talk you thru it.
Put everything, I mean everything, the way their instruction manual says, all the sensors and probes, vacuum lines. And get them on the Horn and get them to tell you how to set their system up....

Recheck everything with your distributor timing and advance also....

Plugs and gaps are a definite possibility for the miss. BUT, don't overlook calling your EFI mfg'er and talking about their troubleshooting procedures. They'll talk you thru it.
Put everything, I mean everything, the way their instruction manual says, all the sensors and probes, vacuum lines. And get them on the Horn and tell you how to set their system up....

I will.

I wonder if I'm just using the wrong plug.
I'm still using plugs for an 82 chevy. Vortec head plugs are different. I'm going to the parts store to compare.

edit: check the plug diff.. Yep the vortec plug fits deeper into the head.
Think that could be my prob.

Last edited:
NGK 3403

Getting closer. The miss is gone, and it starts a lot better. Now it just backfires.
Over and over.

Backfiring didn't start until the 3rd gasket swap on the other manifold.

Are you absolutely positive you don't have a valve too tight???
dave

If a valve was to tight. It would be stuck open right?

I'll go back throgh and readjust them to make sure.

errrr, sorry keep forgeting to add details.

When it backfires the idle drop.
So it idle fine at 750. Then drops to 600-650, then backfires, then idle returns to 750.
Repeats that over and over.

That is a fueling problem....

Got it to maintain an idle at 1100 rpm with out backfiring every few seconds.
Let the car get up to temp. Stays damn cool now. errrr
Guess what. Oil leaks are back. I know damn well I sealed that intake good. No way that thing is leaking.
Has to be the heads.

With that, I'm done. I'm throwing in the towel. Putting a cover over the car. Maybe next year will be better.
I'm burned out on it.

Thank you for everyones help on this.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back