Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tfeverfreds photo journal

And every time I drive Dennis' car Lee in KC hits the windshield with his forehead.

Ya gots REAL GOOD brakes De... er Koob, er Dennis.

I found some pics of us from the 2006 Nats the other day.

Sure wish I could've made it to Springfield for the NSRA, how was it?

Oh wait... this is a threadjack, sorry.

nsra was real nice. had a ball. met some nice folk. smoked some good meat and had a nice picnic. we all missed you. congrats on the new house. i have a aunt in millington, when i go to see her i will call and say hi. i think there is a hot rod show outside of nashville in the fall i would like to go to also. i dont remember its name but i think our buckets would fit in real nice? see you this summer sumtime, even if it is in a magazeen.

Houston HAMB meet up

Today was another meeting of some members who are on the HAMB website. Miss Behavin' was wearing her new shoes and was glad to recieve the thumbs up from her peers.

hamb6208011.jpg

hamb6208020.jpg

hamb6208010.jpg

hamb6208009.jpg

Miss Behavin' is blending right in!
hamb6208005.jpg

I was going up to the gas station and filmed a Mercedes Benz burning. OUCH! Nobody hurt. Guy said it was running hot, then he smelled smoke.

YouTube - FIRE!

Fred's never with out his camera now....next thing you know we'll see him on Americas Funniest Videos!:)

Howdy LA. Everything is good...just biz-E! Gotta slow down and relax. Post a few pics. That sorta thing. :D

Fred, some of those cars don't appear to be "HAMB" friendly.....I'm suprised the hard-core HAMB'rs allowed them there:rolleyes:
after all, I see shiny chrome, aftermarket parts, and heaven forbid....billet!!!!!

sorry, I'm not a big fan of the HAMB:sad:

Vance

Coupe, here's the deal with the HAMB, in my opinion. By it's own credo, it's a website for people who are into and own hot rods done in the traditional manor. An easy way to break that down is NO parts, engines or modifications that are post 1962. HOWEVER, if that were the only people who used that site, they'd have only about 50 REAL members who meet that very strict criterior. The HAMBers I have met in person are hot rodders, plain and simple. They like ALL hot rods of every make. Yes, they TRY to keep an older LOOK on their cars, but they don't use the HAMB guidelines like it's a bible. No one should or could. The HAMB website has over 40,000 members. Of that number, I'd venture to say that MAYBE 10% would be considered true HAMB cars.

It's so easy to be a hard a$$ on the internet and you can see that in some of the threads and posts there. In reality, these guys are not a bunch of 1950 B-movie juvenile delinquints, the vast majority are hot rodders who have no desire to drop tons of money into a glammed out, candy coated, chrome plated trailer queen. They like their hot rods plain, simple and driven. They still prefer a cut off date or time period of the fifties or sixties, but they appreciate a nice hot rod.

I didn't go to their meets in the beginning because I was taken in by the internet facade. Then one Sunday, I said the heck with it and drove over to check out the scene. I was surprised to not only be welcomed in, but that they were just like me. Guys who got tired of all the glitz and glam that can make this hobby seem unreachable for the regular guy.

It you look at the pics, you may notice a Model A roadster in the background of a few shots. It's got flat paint and a very basic look to it and it's done right. That guy works for one of the petroleum companies here in Houston. He could probably build an AMBR candidate if he wanted to, but he prefers a driver. Something he can hop into and not worry about rock chips or whatever. Yes, there are a few guys who have really sweet paint jobs and chrome, but they're attitude is all about owning a hot rod, not just flashing how much money they spent. They don't take the long way to avoid rough roads. What they do enjoy is driving their cars, no matter what!

I think the REAL HAMB attitude is about just owning and enjoying a well done, down to earth hot rod. Not once has anyone said or hinted that my car was a kit, or not cool because it was fiberglass. No one cares that I have an HEI instead of a points setup or that I have disc brakes up front. No one cared that my gauges weren't vintage 1950 S/W's. What they do care about is that I built it my way, the best way I could. And if you ask me, that's what a hot rod is all about.

The HAMB is a good site with a ton of guys who have skill and knowledge. If you like the vintage look and build style, it's a great site to visit, but don't let the hard edge comments or post keep you away. It's the internet for Gods sake. Treat it like a buffet. Take what you want and skip over the rest.

I've been on the HAMB since it was the original Jalopy Journal BBS (for what that's worth :rolleyes:) and you're so right about the "airs" that some put on over there. Truth is, just about none of the "traditional" cars or HAMB cars or rat rods or whatever you wanna call them are true to the 50's.

It's still a great place to get good info so long as you can stand all the sinners. :lol:

Fred...
You, T-odd, Al, and I'm sure a great numbers of others here are true ambassators of our hobby. To all of you I take my hat off to you.

As for your memorial pictures, I still have a lump in my throat.

Duke...I think the reason those serving today are recieved with such respect and graditude is because of the way we were treated on our return. I have some very opinionated feelings about all of this, but this isn't the place or time to air them. So I'm just going to say, " Thanks guys and gals. You done me proud!"

Ron

I agree, they do have my Salute and respect. :rolleyes:

Point taken Fred. you are are right...the internet is a "Buffet"
I just dislike some of the pompus-ass responces on the HAMB.

Vance

We do get a little smart *** on the HAMB. But still a lot of great people.and some of it is just joking .

Bobby Knighton: Hot Rodder

Today, I called a guy who I met last year, and asked if he'd like to see my T Bucket. I was introduced to him as "this old guy who messes with old cars". I have lived in the same basic area for over 30 years, except for the time I was in the service and I swear I had never seen him or his great cars. EVER! Come to find out, he lives about 5 miles from me and has been building hot rods in this modest shop for 20 years.

His shop sits at the end of a building that houses a pool hall and a barber shop. There is no sign or any indication that a master builder works here.

goodfriends001.jpg

Meet Bobby Knighton. His stories of drag racing and hot rodding during the fifties and sixties are the makings of a great book. During those times, he raced a '34 Ford coupe and held the record at the local tracks around Houston and other parts of Texas for 7 years. He told me stories about a kid he knew who used a fake I.D. to get his NHRA permit, a kid named Eddie Hill. Yup, that Ed Hill.

goodfriends002.jpg

Well, he gave my car a nice looking over and gave it a thumbs up. Coming from him, that meant a lot. he also offered a few tips and advice on my next build. Then, I caught a look at what he was working on. He's redoing the rearend of an original steel '32 Vicky. Fab work and install all done by him.

goodfriends003.jpg

As I wander around in his shop, it's so hard to concentrate on one thing. There is so much cool stuff just hanging on the walls and sitting on shelves.

goodfriends004.jpg

Here are just a few of the many photos that he has of drag racing and hot rods back in the golden years.

goodfriends005.jpg

It's not often you get to meet someone as nice as he is. He has told me I can come around when he has more time and take some more pics. Guys, there are stories and history all over the place and I'll be sure to get more pics next time.

Riding around with the brown

On my way back to work to put my car up, I ran into my UPS girl at a stop light. Then later, I ran into after she was getting off work and took her for a spin. Her name is Natasha and she is now a "T Bucket Betty"!

goodfriends006.jpg

Man that is some kool stuff fred !

Re: Riding around with the brown

tfeverfred said:
On my way back to work to put my car up, I ran into my UPS girl at a stop light. Then later, I ran into after she was getting off work and took her for a spin. Her name is Natasha and she is now a "T Bucket Betty"!

goodfriends006.jpg

Yep... She's got that "T-bucket spin grin!"

Great story about your neighbor Bobby Knighton... look forward to hearing chapter 2... :razz:

Seat cover

No, not mine, but I couldn't resist.:lol:

seatcover.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back