Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Yeti's 27 T Build

It might be worth an email or a call to the Heim manufacturer to confirm the lateral loading limit. There are plenty of other ways to skin the cat if they indicate that there's any risk of the joint breaking in that orientation.

It might be worth an email or a call to the Heim manufacturer to confirm the lateral loading limit. There are plenty of other ways to skin the cat if they indicate that there's any risk of the joint breaking in that orientation.

You can download their catalog and look at the bearing specs. I think they give the side load information for each bearing. I always put any spherical bearing in double shear no mater what the application. Side loading and sudden impacts are not your friend. Just my personal opinion and we all know what that's worth.

It's getting to be a big puzzle. Everything just has enough room to fit. Mocking everything up. Building motor mounts, transmission cross member and mount, master cylinder mount.

Had to search the junkyard yesterday.. the big 130amp GM alternator was in the same place as the frame rail... no good. Found this jem from a 98-00 Honda Accord. 80 amps is plenty for this hotrod. Will make a custom upper mount but it bolts up to the factory lower bolt.

Yeti, Just noticed the pictures of your master cylinder mount and the push tube. As that looks to be a pretty it will flex due to the small diameter and length. At best it will cause you to have a soft petal feeling. Using a solid steel rod won't really help you due to the length. One way to solve this problem would be to make that rod or tube go forward when you step on the petal. Add a bell crank in front of the master cylinder and make it push that cylinder. I don't want you to think I'm picking on you by any means. I just see things any anyone's build that raise a red flag and offer what advice I might have in hopes that they might have. I am differently not a expert but I have been designing and building racing cars since 1973. Before that I spent 2/1/2 years working on Huey helicopters that I had to fly on everyday. I have built Top Fuel Dragsters, Funny cars,altereds , Pro Stock chassis that ran in the comp/altered classes and Harley frames that I reversed the manual brake push rods to pull units. In 2005 I started building recreations on 50-60s Sports Car racers including the 63 Grand Sport Corvettes, 59, Scarab and the 59 Aston Martin DB1-R that Carrol Shelby drove to victory. I don't usually let this much information out as I don't really like to get into advice arguments or will you design me request. I will and do at times offer my "opinion" and we all know that that's worth. I don't log in here much these days but do read though the post about once a week. I am in the the process of a ton of VA medical issues and some contract work for a sports car fabrication company now. Also trying to find some time to design me a roadster (bucket styled) with hopes of starting it later this year. With age chasing you to the here after one has to keep moving forward as fast as you can!
Good Luck in your project. If you have any questions just fire away and I will tell you what I know or think I know.

George

20220706-133140.jpg

20220707-114343.jpg

20220707-114233.jpg

20220707-114330.jpg

The master is going to have solid rod running to it. I just put the tube there to see clearance. Motor mounts will have gussets.

I like the idea of the pull type with a bell crank to push the master cylinder. I wont ask you to design it for me but would you happen to have any pictures that I can use for some imagination?

I like the idea of the pull type with a bell crank to push the master cylinder. I wont ask you to design it for me but would you happen to have any pictures that I can use for some imagination?

If you can give me till after Friday I will lay out a basic design. I have a ton of paper work to get done prior to a long Friday sit down meeting. If I get energize I might work it in tonight. Really simple mechanically. I will be in touch.
George

If you can give me till after Friday I will lay out a basic design. I have a ton of paper work to get done prior to a long Friday sit down meeting. If I get energize I might work it in tonight. Really simple mechanically. I will be in touch.
George

Awesome. Thank you!

Awesome. Thank you!

I apologize for not responding but seems I had a lot more diversions in front of me than I planned on. Right now I am dealing with a number of VA issues and diversions. Biggest issue is a partial vision loss in my right eye that will be permanent.Always wanted to be a pirate as a kid and damn if it doesn't look like I'm going to make. Will be going in to the VA again in the morning. Since I have been at the house quite a bit I don't have a big monitor here and working off of a laptop is very difficult' I will be back in the shop no later then the August 1. I will still help you out if you can wait until then. If you have any other picture views on the overall area of interest as in petal mount and firewall it would help to see those. Not sure you decided to mount that cylinder so far from the firewall but you must have your reasons. Give it some thought and I will look at it. Really need to get back to the design of a car that has been evolving in my mind for a number of years and big screens are a must anymore. Received this latest monitor unannounced from a good friend here on this forum. I will check in in a day or two. Just remember, Everything is a project. Some are just more enjoyable then others!

George
72.png
72.png

I apologize for not responding but seems I had a lot more diversions in front of me than I planned on. Right now I am dealing with a number of VA issues and diversions. Biggest issue is a partial vision loss in my right eye that will be permanent.Always wanted to be a pirate as a kid and damn if it doesn't look like I'm going to make. Will be going in to the VA again in the morning. Since I have been at the house quite a bit I don't have a big monitor here and working off of a laptop is very difficult' I will be back in the shop no later then the August 1. I will still help you out if you can wait until then. If you have any other picture views on the overall area of interest as in petal mount and firewall it would help to see those. Not sure you decided to mount that cylinder so far from the firewall but you must have your reasons. Give it some thought and I will look at it. Really need to get back to the design of a car that has been evolving in my mind for a number of years and big screens are a must anymore. Received this latest monitor unannounced from a good friend here on this forum. I will check in in a day or two. Just remember, Everything is a project. Some are just more enjoyable then others!

George
72.png
72.png
I lost sight in my left eye as a result of a head on collision in ‘96. It definitely presents challenges, especially combined with age and vision degradation in my right eye. I always had excellent vision prior. Wish you the best.

I lost sight in my left eye as a result of a head on collision in ‘96. It definitely presents challenges, especially combined with age and vision degradation in my right eye. I always had excellent vision prior. Wish you the best.

Thank You Sir! Not real sure what caused it but it should be controllable. Changed my blood pressure medicine and will monitor it. Will get new glasses in about 3 months if nothing changes. I don't drive at night or in hard rain due to lens subscription needs to be changed. While they are at it they will also make me a pair of progressive focus welding glasses that work up to arms length just for TIG welding. Carrying 4-5 pair of reading glasses sucks! Guess keeping a check on your eyes and eye pressure is something everyone should keep tabs on. I was totally unaware of such issues. Have had double vision since around 2010 but not at arms length. It is what it is.

Thanks again for your thoughts and concern.
Nice thing about double vision and shooting hand guns. No matter which target I hit they both will fall!
George

George
72.png
72.png

Hope everything works out and the vision problem can be corrected for you.

I need to get my eye pressure checked but I keep putting it off. At my appointment for new glasses about 3 months ago he gave me a number to an optometrist to call and to tell him I'm a "glaucoma suspect".

I'll get you some more pictures and a drawing or 2 over the weekend of what I have going on. I've got my transmission crossmember tacked in and starting to cut tube for my "k frame" that is an integral part of the transmission crossmember. The master cylinder bracket is also part of this "k member" which is why it lives so far back. This 4L80E is a LONG transmission.

I'll start off by apologizing for my elementary drawings lol. But here's my rear k member/rear master cylinder mount.

Why did I mount it so far back? Idk.. this is the way I dreamt it to be and it stuck that way? I've seen other people mount their master cylinder to the transmission crossmember but usually a shorter trans.

Brake pedal on the left side of the column. Big trans tunnel and size 13 feet decided that.

THE LIGHT BLUE LINE is a frame bushing'd or bearing'd pass thru to get to get the pedal on the left
20220803-200750.jpg

20220803-201038.jpg

I would be afraid to drive any vehicle with the brake pedal on the left of the steering column. I think most of us were taught to drive using the gas pedal and brake pedal with our right foot. This is a must when driving a vehicle with a clutch pedal. I think it would be impossible to drive a manual transmission car using your left foot for the clutch and brake. I know many people drive automatics with 2 feet.
That would scare me. Just sayin’

I would be afraid to drive any vehicle with the brake pedal on the left of the steering column. I think most of us were taught to drive using the gas pedal and brake pedal with our right foot. This is a must when driving a vehicle with a clutch pedal. I think it would be impossible to drive a manual transmission car using your left foot for the clutch and brake. I know many people drive automatics with 2 feet.
That would scare me. Just sayin’

I know what you mean. I really wanted it on the proper side but there's just no way gas and brake can be there with my shoe size. The car is using a full manual auto.

So no clutch pedal involved. Mine also has brake pedal left of the column, and it's surprising how my pea-size brain has adapted to left-foot braking. I guess when I'm in the T muscle memory (conation?) takes over.

View attachment 22878

I really wanted a T56 to row thru the gears but I knew that was out of the question when I started this.

I had thought of making a hand clutch (like a motorcycle) on the shifter handle using a vac booster to assist in pulling the clutch but I abandoned that idea very quickly.

Years ago I had a 67 Dodge Coronet. 383 with a 4 speed. My father also had a 67 Dodge Coronet. His was a 318 Automatic 4 door sedan. Mine had 3 pedals and his had the 2 pedal model! His brake pedal was the wide brake pedal version. One day I was driving his car on the expressway cruising along at 50-60 MPH.
All of a sudden all traffic stopped in front of me. I hit the brake with my right foot as normal. Instinctively, I hit the clutch pedal with my left foot as I was used to doing in my own car. Since there was no clutch, my left foot came down on the wide brake pedal. I was the only one sliding down the highway sideways!!
That experience scared the crap out of me. Kind of reminded me of using my left foot for the brake pedal as would be in The Yeti's car. I guess if you can adapt
to that type of driving, that's great! Maybe it's like Spanky said. You know what you're driving! My bucket has 3 pedals. Some times I get in my driver and think "Oh yeah, I don't have to shift"! Imagine driving a Model T these days. 3 pedals, doing different things!!!

I have to say I'm a right foot gas left foot brake guy. Been doing that ever since I drove cars with a clutch. I'd love to have a 3 pedal bucket but like Yeti, my size 13's would probably not work out too well. I've seen a few set up that way and maybe, after I finish my first one, I'll make the next one a stick! I guess I just like to keep my feet busy while driving.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back