Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Yeti's 27 T Build

My powerplant as it sits. 07 Ecotec out of a Cobalt.

I believe this is a great choice. I have some familiarity with these engines, but I learned a little more today out of curiosity. I assume this is an L61 Gen II, which appears to be the pick of the litter. High strength block, larger port heads, modern ignition & timing sensors, better ECM. Clearly your professional tech knowledge is an asset on this project.

When you say "big turbo" I'm guessing you aren't using the GM performance turbo kit-it will be interesting to hear the combination of components you choose. I don't doubt the 400+ capability. I'm also anxious to see the combo of transmission and rear end ratio (and tire height) you go with. I know the 2.2 turbo in the Cobalt SS was strong, but it seems like the power band was way up there.

Big changes happened with the build yesterday. Our local U Pull and Pay yard had a wheel barrel saturday event. All you can fit in a wheelbarrow for 64.99 + Tax. 2 wheelbaarows later and I've got a complete 2002 5.3/4L60E combo
123-1.jpg

123-1-1.jpg

A whole powertrain for $140! Even took the harness and PCM.

This is the Suburban it came out of. If you look at the windshield you can see the evidence of the wonderful Pittsburgh weather we were working in. Started as snow then changed to freezing rain and then finally to rain as we hit a high of 43 degrees.
123-1-3.jpg

Hell of buy!

Did you have to roll it out on your own or just get in the wheelbarrow?

That's awesome, Yeti. Talk to Gary about using the LS platform in a T.
(Quote from Gary: "Holy Cow! I had my T timed from 0-60 and it was 3.5 seconds in 250 feet. The wife said it blurred her vision. LOL That's with a stock LS motor. How in the world do you guys manage a high horsepower blown small block in one of these things? I have all I want, well maybe…..")

GarysT.jpg

Last edited:
Hell of buy!

Did you have to roll it out on your own or just get in the wheelbarrow?

It had to fit in the wheelbarrow and you had to push it from the lot to the register inside. I lifted and pushed while one of my buddies was pulling via a seatbelt he tied to the front of the wheelbarrow and another buddy was standing on the side helping to balance. Them tires didnt have enough air in them.

They actually tried to disqualify us saying we broke the rules by flattening the tire with too much weight and they weren't going to let us buy it.. but there weren't any rules posted anywhere and we showed them were I had messaged them on facebook and asked if engines were allowed. They finally let us buy it and just told us to never do that again.

Still making progress. Mostly collecting parts.

I've got the engine torn down for cam bearings, rod bearings, and main bearings. Got a factory early LS1 cam I'll install to wake it up a bit. Also going to port the heads.

Here's something cool, picked up a 1930 model a front axle. Complete with straight wishbones. I got 75 monte carlo rotors for a disc brake conversion and dimensions for the inner bearing/seal adapter. 2 different options for calipers at the moment.. both dual piston from 2000 model year fords.

Going to split the wishbone in the traditional style and run it.
Screenshot-20200414-210726-Facebook.jpg

I was told it was a 30 Model A and I do believe it based on the small spindle backing plate pattern.

I found the dimensions from a member over at jalopy journal for the spindle adaptor to convert to disc brakes while keeping the 30 spindles.

I Didn't want to change to the 37-48 spindles just for the brake conversion. Trying to keep this piece of history mostly intact as it may end up being the only antique piece of this build.

Maybe this is a dumb question.
The axle pictured above is more or less 90 years old. Would any of you have concerns to use that on a T Bucket build considering its age and the abuse it might have encountered. Adding to the fact that you might be putting in a much larger, heavier than stock, more powerful, engine?
Just sayin’

I use a 1940 Ford front axle with characture flaws with new spindles. They were forged back then and strong so it is OK as long as it has not been in a fire.

I wouldn't use a Model T front end as they were smaller and the Model A was OK as long as you up graded the brakes.

The model axle assembly looks great. Can the axle be checked for cracks at a machine shop ? Just concerned about your safety.

When Ford started building model A’s people were concerned about axle strength. Henry Ford had several front axles twisted several times and sent to dealers around the states. I have seen one of them and it is incredible.

Last edited:
Finally got a long list of house work done and now its back to the T build.

Installed the new cam bearings, cam, main bearings, and crank. Mains plastigaged at .0015.. perfect.

20200828-224553.jpg

Cylinders are honed and ready for pistons also. Going to be opening ring gap for boost.

Traded my 4l60e for a 4l80e. Goal here is a bulletproof drivetrain.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back