Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

IMG_20160420_175157282_zpsdsdfm4uz.jpg
IMG_20160420_175542374_zpsr60ttrti.jpg

Pretty easy to do. Plywood, foam and more glass.

View attachment 11927
Cooter, I am doing about the same as you...glassing the floor, etc. keep it up, looks good. I had to take a break from it. I got the bottom ready for feather fill. I decided to just put some additive (styrene monomer) in the top coat of the bottom, then finish the top because I still need to glass the bell housing bump in once I get the steering column located exactly. Then I can spray the whole thing with feather fill and have a sanding party... So far I have went through almost three gallons of resin, but I have two layers on the bottom, one on the top, and two on both sides of the firewall. I am using biaxial glass, and it really sucks up the resin. I like watching your progress, it motivates me, a little, lol. I need to get busy and post some pics.

Last edited:
Cooter, I am doing about the same as you...glassing the floor, etc. keep it up, looks good. I had to take a break from it. I got the bottom ready for feather fill. I decided to just put some additive (styrene monomer) in the top coat of the bottom, then finish the top because I still need to glass the bell housing bump in once I get the steering column located exactly. Then I can spray the whole thing with feather fill and have a sanding party... So far I have went through almost three gallons of resin, but I have two layers on the bottom, one on the top, and two on both sides of the firewall. I am using biaxial glass, and it really sucks up the resin. I like watching your progress, it motivates me, a little, lol. I need to get busy and post some pics.
I'm getting kinda tired and lazy. I keep on keeping on... Thanks for the tips

Pretty easy to do. Plywood, foam and more glass.

View attachment 11927
Choppinczech, your rockers, if that's a proper name, are going to be very strong. I thought about doing something similar, but I have several things through bolted on the frame and decided to leave it open for access. I did fold the top layer of biaxial on the floor bottom up both sides and it really stiffened it up. The body has gained quite a bit of weight, but it is much stronger. I feel much better about it now.

I'm getting kinda tired and lazy. I keep on keeping on... Thanks for the tips
I get into ruts, then I order some goodies and make some progress. Take a break from it and do something else for a day or two, then when I get back to it, it looks good to me, I then see the fruits of my labor. The glassing phase sort of takes over the entire shop. I don't hate doing it, but will be glad to be done with this part so I can have my shop back. I am getting motivated because a lot of the parts I have been working on are being attached, things actually have a place they belong and fit. If I keep it up, I may actually get some bench space back....never enough shelf or bench space.

Mine are boxed in also but they're hollow which allowed me to run my wiring for my tail/ brake lights and gas gauge.

Jim

Yes! Cooter if you do box it in, take advantage of running some conduit in there.

I'll still be opening mine up from the outside when I cut out my door sills. I plan to run wiring through the passenger side, and my deck lid cable through the driver's side.

I bet that stuff is hard to get off of your teeth!..... I just came in from doing almost the same thing, lol. Glassing the tunnel in and cutting strips of scrap to band the end grains... Looks good cooter!

Them end grains sure suck up the resin!!! I just kept goin back and goin back. 2oz is what I mixed. It finally started getting slick on outside. Guess she got full..

You're doing some very nice work, cooter. Keep it up and you'll have a really great ride. I also especially like seeing your boys getting involved. Take it from an old guy that did the same with his sons, you'll never regret it down the road nor will they.

Jim

man, cooter, only wish I had your talent! Very nice! Only choppinczech can out do you! Keep going dude.....
Thanks. I'm learning, never done this kinda work before. I'm not worthy to be compared with choppinczech. Thanks for the moral booster.. I don't like fiberglass because it's uncharted waters. Fear of the Unknown, but this forum has taught me what you see here.

Your builds moving at a nice pace. I'm liking that.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back