Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

IMG_20160427_171726380_zpshzu3otex.jpg
I was told I should glass edges and not the middle. Allows wood to breath or if it gets moisture it will rot. 2nd opinions please.. Y'all know I want it done right the first time.

What kind of ply wood did you use? If you use a good exterior grade it should not need all that glass work. It won't be exposed to constant moisture. You might get caught in some rain, maybe once or twice a year.
I used cabinet grade I guess. It's not exterior. Guy commented on my ntba post on Facebook about plywood boats being glassed on outside only wich got me thinking. Yes, it's easier on my part to just glass the edge to tie the floor and body. You know how much moisture this car will get. Is it better to dry out, or dry rot is a comment I just read on a boat forum discussing this.

These aren't boats, they don't suffer from long term IMMERSION in water . Your car won't sit in water & be filled w/water from rain , waves , etc. Even a plywood transom in a boat that is encapsulated in glass lasts 10 -30 years. what kills the plywood is leaking around penetrations [bolt holes, screws & so on] . If you do your best to seal the wood & store the car out of the weather , it'll probably outlive you !!
JMHO dave

Y'all know it's garage kept and climate controlled.. Seal it.. So if I spill something I can clean it up fast. Lol

I don't think you will have any problems in your lifetime with the wood, because the way you are sealing it all. Just seal all the fastener bolts and screws that go into the wood.

Geez ..... Where did all this fiberglass envy come from ? Cooter is doing a job equal to ChoppinCzech in sealing the floor board and ya gotta remember that it is his build and his way of doing things.

What does Burt have to say 'bout the state of the build ? Damn right, Burt thinks its a fine floor board and everything will be o.k.

Much ado 'bout nothing.

John

P.S. Though I think the "climate controlled garage" is a bit much.

I love my AC in hot weather and heat when it's snowing outside.. There is no wrong way or right way I guess on the floor. I have found that for the most part, kicking ideas like this around among fellow builders is a good idea and usually saves me heartache.

I love my AC in hot weather and heat when it's snowing outside.. There is no wrong way or right way I guess on the floor. I have found that for the most part, kicking ideas like this around among fellow builders is a good idea and usually saves me heartache.
I think the whole reason for the glass is for strength. The wood is a substrate, so even if it did decay in twenty years, the floor will still be strong from the glass. In boats, they glass both sides of the transom. If they dont glass both sides of the floor, I suspect it's due to ease or expence, and they use premium marine grade plywood that is very rot resistant anyways. The floors rot first in boats, then the transom, from my experience. I am not a boat professional, but have repaired several over the years and the floors are normally rotten. I wouldn't worry about it personally. I am glassing everything, no exposed wood.

Did mine in straight glass.

Happy to do a thread if anyone's interested
G

Now that's juicy right there. I know Ex Junk's floor is all glass too.

Gerry, put up a thread on that.

Let's start up a category strictly on working with glass. After all, they're all glass bodies.

@RPM?

I, too, have a "climate controlled" garage. My garage is connected to the house and the system in the house has vents in the garage keeping it the same temperature as the house. Living in Florida you really need air conditioning in your garage if you want to do anything. As for heat, I REALLY hate the cold weather so the heat is great also. I always say that I don't like any temperature that is below my age and I'm 74. LOL

Jim

Yep. Have to say I have a buddy who is a pro laminates guy and he did the laying up for me. Took him no time at all and he; as pros do, just got on with it. It was dark when we finished. I did have a problem which I will go into in my thread.
G

Are you blessed with a warm climate and low humidity? It would take me that long to get everything ready, measure out the resin and cat, have a glass of merlot, then find the mix was too hot and had gone off, etc etc. Hence me getting my bud to do it. He got the glass down and wetted before I had finished my second glass of the Red Vino. Look forward to see the result of you labour.
G

Im getting pretty good at mixin. Ron Pope came down to shop and showed me how to rock n roll. I'm dangerous with a roller..

Reactions: RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back