Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

WOBBLY-T

jackfordt

Hello, i am new here just finished my T last year with Total Performance plans ,using a '37 ford front axle with friction shocks with a 34" trailer leaf spring. Everything goes good before 50 aflte wabble comes in right and left tire starting bouncing . Any suggestions. Thanks Jack

Hello, i am new here just finished my T last year with Total Performance plans ,using a '37 ford front axle with friction shocks with a 34" trailer leaf spring. Everything goes good before 50 aflte wabble comes in right and left tire starting bouncing . Any suggestions. Thanks Jack
I had the same thing happen.It's hard to explain to people it's not a shimmy.It happened to me twice and about crapped my pants both times.I went to Hyd.Shocks and not only did it go away but the ride is Great.Jim at Wintec has the kit to change from friction to hyd.shocks.

Welcome Jack, it sounds like you have the dreaded death wobble. I still run the friction shocks on mine and fixed the wobble with a good alignment. The toe in and caster need to be checked and the shocks need to be kept tight.

Welcome Jack, it sounds like you have the dreaded death wobble. I still run the friction shocks on mine and fixed the wobble with a good alignment. The toe in and caster need to be checked and the shocks need to be kept tight.
But Bruce as he said it's a right left wheel BOUNCE not a wobble.

Thanks , have any specs to suggest for alignemet.

I say start at 1/8 inch toe in and 7 to 9 degrees caster .Camber is built in to the axle not adjustable on solid axle cars without bending axle.

50 mph bounce probably is balance. Have the wheels & tires balanced on the car. That will balance the tires, wheels, and brake rotors all at once. Also Mark all components so if disassembled everything can be reassembled on the appropriate hub. A dab of paint (or a black or red sharpie) on the hub (pick one of the studs), then the rotor, and finally the wheel will do it. Also check the wheel bearing tightness (ball vs roller).

If that doesn't work, just check back, we have a large and knowledgeable (and friendly) group here.

John

Went to take some mesurements have 1/4in. toe in and 4 deg. caster. Caster is a problem because i will have to modify my batwings since my hairpins are at the end of their ajustements. What more caster will do. Thanks
Lots of caster have about 4 deg.

You do not need to modify your bat wings. You can get more caster by shortening the your hairpins. Remove the the three stop nuts and reinstall the hairpins. See if you can get the proper caster. If you can and the clevises are not screwed in tight, then you need to shorten the hairpin by the the thickness of the stop nuts. You can do this by just shortening the heims end being sure to tap the end deeper if need be. I oversimplified this but I hope you get the idea of what you can do to solve the problem.

I'll say this again,like the last time this topic came up,check your tire/wheels tosee how out of round they are,with as little weight as is on the front end of these cars ,a small amount of "out of round" makes a huge difference. As for your caster issue, 4* will probably only effect how well the car tracks, not so much the wobble [bouncing } .

dave

I'll say this again,like the last time this topic came up,check your tire/wheels tosee how out of round they are,with as little weight as is on the front end of these cars ,a small amount of "out of round" makes a huge difference. As for your caster issue, 4* will probably only effect how well the car tracks, not so much the wobble [bouncing } .

dave
I never did anything to my car except change the shocks out for hyd.and the car drives like a dream now.

Well now i am all mixed up.

what i do now; align
balance tires
put hyd. shocks
my clevisses are at their maximum ( top at minimum lower at maximum) if i shorten the hairpin the axle will go backwards and won't align with the spring leaf. Might as well add a 7deg. in my battwings ( new welding job) but.............. is it the balance thing ( 4" rims with nylon oldies)........................ shocks looks to me attractive......................

Attachments

• wickedt 1.bmp
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
Well now i am all mixed up.

what i do now; align
balance tires
put hyd. shocks
my clevisses are at their maximum ( top at minimum lower at maximum) if i shorten the hairpin the axle will go backwards and won't align with the spring leaf. Might as well add a 7deg. in my battwings ( new welding job) but.............. is it the balance thing ( 4" rims with nylon oldies)........................ shocks looks to me attractive......................
I would first check align.First then the balance job.Check tire preassure.Then the shocks thats all i did to mine as i new the rest was right.Your choice my friend.

I would start with the cheapest thing first and work up by cost. So many times I have or heard of spending lotsa money on something to eventually find out its a 2 buck problem
Gerry

How far out can i twist on my rod ends( how many threads in) i would have probably 1/2in.of threads screwed in, is it enough.
You do not need to modify your bat wings. You can get more caster by shortening the your hairpins. Remove the the three stop nuts and reinstall the hairpins. See if you can get the proper caster. If you can and the clevises are not screwed in tight, then you need to shorten the hairpin by the the thickness of the stop nuts. You can do this by just shortening the heims end being sure to tap the end deeper if need be. I oversimplified this but I hope you get the idea of what you can do to solve the problem.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back