Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

My short shocks arrived today, I'll wait for my new spring before trying them on. I'm REALLY getting tired of installing and removing stuff to check for fit. But it's the process.

"They" send you the wrong stuff so you will get good at changing out parts.

How long has it been since you turned wrenches?

John

I ordered the wrong part number. It happens. Okay?:D

To both Ron & Fred, the first sentence was and still is a joke. Parts manufacturers will send out stuff just to say they sent something (well, you know our records show the part was sent out yesterday. You should see it in 10 working days.). Knowing full well it was the wrong part. Keeps the Money moving.
Or, "send him axyz front axle combo instead of the zxyz package, he'll never know the difference." Or "of course it was packaged in America." Where it was made is another matter.
As for the turning wrenches comment, it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. How long has it been since MissBehaving was done (not counting the run in with the law)? I'll bet after the second time around you were a lot more quicker at assembly and figuring out things. Human nature - the more you do something the better you get. I will even venture to say that at one point you probably felt you could put these things together professionally. Just snap them right out.
And then at the end of the built thinking "I don't want to see another tool, paint can or tire for at least a year".

John

Reactions: RPM
To both Ron & Fred, the first sentence was and still is a joke. Parts manufacturers will send out stuff just to say they sent something (well, you know our records show the part was sent out yesterday. You should see it in 10 working days.). Knowing full well it was the wrong part. Keeps the Money moving.
Or, "send him axyz front axle combo instead of the zxyz package, he'll never know the difference." Or "of course it was packaged in America." Where it was made is another matter.
As for the turning wrenches comment, it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. How long has it been since MissBehaving was done (not counting the run in with the law)? I'll bet after the second time around you were a lot more quicker at assembly and figuring out things. Human nature - the more you do something the better you get. I will even venture to say that at one point you probably felt you could put these things together professionally. Just snap them right out.
And then at the end of the built thinking "I don't want to see another tool, paint can or tire for at least a year".

John
The kick in the pants for me is that I used to be very proficient at all things mechanical, now I know what to do, but it just doesn't go smoothly... Things that used to seem so easy, are almost more hassle than they are worth... But it's getting a little better. It's hard to get back into the swing after being down and out of the game, so to speak. I wish I could just allow someone else to do it for me, it's just not in me to do it, I'm too used to doing it myself, lol!

The kick in the pants for me is that I used to be very proficient at all things mechanical, now I know what to do, but it just doesn't go smoothly... Things that used to seem so easy, are almost more hassle than they are worth... But it's getting a little better. It's hard to get back into the swing after being down and out of the game, so to speak. I wish I could just allow someone else to do it for me, it's just not in me to do it, I'm too used to doing it myself, lol!

I have found the same thing. Glad to know it isn't just me!

I'll 3rd that sentiment.

I've found that I have a great deal of fear of failure over doing the kinds of things that long ago and far away I literally would have been doing in my sleep (long story). On the other hand it's hard for me to let go and have someone else do it for me, for fear that it will not be done how I want it To top it all off, it's difficult for me to buy what someone else has built...I always see too many things that could/should have been done differently.

Yes, I am a basket case :confused:

Okay....... it was a nice day (72 degrees) and I was bored, so I broke down and installed the new shocks. This will all come apart, when I change springs, but at least I have practice at it.:D

full

Okay....... it was a nice day (72 degrees) and I was bored, so I broke down and installed the new shocks. This will all come apart, when I change springs, but at least I have practice at it.:D

full
You need a pile of parts to prevent boredom... How tall are those upper shock mounts/ light perches? When are you going to weld them?

full
Just an observation, but those look to be pretty stout springs. I know you plan on changing them, are you planning on running 6 leafs? I have seen many with only 4 my big block currently has 5 1-3/4" leafs and I am going to remove another to see if it will soften it up a bit. It was plenty stout with 5, it was a drag car and routinely bounced the front end... I don't need it to do that, lol. Also, it's a standard, so a little lighter than an auto shift. Perhaps that will matter?

Just an observation, but those look to be pretty stout springs. I know you plan on changing them, are you planning on running 6 leafs? I have seen many with only 4 my big block currently has 5 1-3/4" leafs and I am going to remove another to see if it will soften it up a bit. It was plenty stout with 5, it was a drag car and routinely bounced the front end... I don't need it to do that, lol. Also, it's a standard, so a little lighter than an auto shift. Perhaps that will matter?

Fletch, I was bored because I was trying to have a day off and not do anything car related. But, I couldn't sit still.:) I'm going to weld the towers in, along with other stuff like RR brackets, once I have everything sorted out. The new spring is 3 leaves and rated for 1,000 lbs.. My last T weighed in at 1,750, so I figure 1,000lbs. should work. If it doesn't I'll add leaves from my old one as needed. Here's where my new spring is coming from.

Linky: 1000 lb. Capacity Trailer Spring, 3 Leaf, Double Eye, MTS-141

Fletch, I was bored because I was trying to have a day off and not do anything car related. But, I couldn't sit still.:) I'm going to weld the towers in, along with other stuff like RR brackets, once I have everything sorted out. The new spring is 3 leaves and rated for 1,000 lbs.. My last T weighed in at 1,750, so I figure 1,000lbs. should work. If it doesn't I'll add leaves from my old one as needed. Here's where my new spring is coming from.

What you got planned for spring bushings? That trailer spring has an odd size hole in it.

I was just messin with you relating to your boredom statement... No rest for the wicked, so to speak. I personally like to tack weld everything in place, then finish weld when disassembled to gain access and gravity, lol!

I was just messin with you relating to your boredom statement... No rest for the wicked, so to speak. I personally like to tack weld everything in place, then finish weld when disassembled to gain access and gravity, lol!

That's my plan, as well.

What you got planned for spring bushings? That trailer spring has an odd size hole in it.

The spring showed up yesterday and I wasted no time checking for fit. All was good. It came with thin bushings, so I removed them and pressed in a couple bushings from my shackles. The fit was close, but way too tight. So, I simply drilled them out a little. VERY little. Here's the result.

full

full

Perfect fit.

Just havin' fun

full

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back