Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How I scratch built a Modern T

I can’t think of a better way to do it. Good job! Hope It doesn’t do funny things as it cures... I learned that one the hard way, like most things in life.

Outstanding! Can you extend the cowl's body lines into it a foot or so? That'd make it really blend.

Outstanding! Can you extend the cowl's body lines into it a foot or so? That'd make it really blend.
I had the same thought but didn’t want to sound judgmental. Even a tip of the arrow or similar to tie it in. Could also smooth the contour off of the cab to achieve a smooth look. Just brainstorming... looks good as is. It would add rigidity.

I have a fiberglass 32 hood which is too wide for my 23 t. I plan to cut pie slice shaped pieces out of the hood's top.

The Speedway frame came with the mount for the brake master cylinder in the floor. This was not going to work for me as it was in the wrong place to allow enough room for the clutch pedal so I ordered the hanging pedal assembly. This allows the brake and clutch master cylinder to be mounted on the firewall.
At this time I made the brackets under the cowl to hold the steering column and made up a steering shaft with two universal joints to connect the steering column to the Vega steering box that came with the frame.

D52.JPG D53.JPG

The Speedway frame came with the mount for the brake master cylinder in the floor. This was not going to work for me as it was in the wrong place to allow enough room for the clutch pedal so I ordered the hanging pedal assembly. This allows the brake and clutch master cylinder to be mounted on the firewall.
At this time I made the brackets under the cowl to hold the steering column and made up a steering shaft with two universal joints to connect the steering column to the Vega steering box that came with the frame.

View attachment 18768 View attachment 18769
Unique battery location. The engine choice affords space not available to most.

For some reason the Ranger alternator decided to seize up just sitting in my shop. Perhaps cleaning the engine at the car wash did it in I dunno, but now I needed a new one. A friend had one that was working from an old Honda car and donated it to the cause, so I made up a new mount for it and bolted it on. Measured what I thought was going to be the right length belt and ordered one from Rock Auto.

D54.JPG

For some reason the Ranger alternator decided to seize up just sitting in my shop. Perhaps cleaning the engine at the car wash did it in I dunno, but now I needed a new one. A friend had one that was working from an old Honda car and donated it to the cause, so I made up a new mount for it and bolted it on. Measured what I thought was going to be the right length belt and ordered one from Rock Auto.

View attachment 18773
Alternator bearings live a rough life anyways with the heat generated. A little water and time to rust likely done em in. Easy, cheap fix.

I mounted the windshield posts to the body, It took a bit of doing to get the holes lined up correctly and I had to add some fiberglass reinforcement inside to give some more support for the bolts. The windshield posts are solid brass and bit on the pricey side. I suppose they would look nice if they were polished up but I am not going to spend the time to do that, so they are just going to have to make do with a coat of black paint.

After some careful eyeball measuring I ordered a windshield frame and the roof top bow kit from Speedway. I bolted the frame together, installed it on the bucket then cut the windshield frame at the proper height to fit it.

D55.jpg

The Speedway top kit is not easily removable and it does not fold down. Once installed a fabric covering has to be made for it and held in place with some upholstery button snaps. I do not like that so I am going to deviate a little bit from the customary model T roof and build a removable soft top for the car.

I bolted the bow frame to the headboard and welded in some additional tubes to support the fabric better. I also welded a framework in to hold the rear window. I covered the top of the back of the bucket with some plastic sandwich wrap and layed up a fiberglass form around the top edge of the bucket. The bow frame will bolt to this and the bucket top edge. By removing the headboard from the windshield and unbolting the fiberglass form I can remove the top in one piece.

What I am going to do here is cover the frame with aircraft Dacron fabric. The fabric is sewn together in panels and glued to the framework. The fabric is shrunk with the heat from an iron to keep it taunt on the frame. The fabric is then painted with a silver coating to prevent the ultraviolet sunlight from degrading the fabric. A finish color coat is sprayed on top. I am going to use flat black to try to give it a realistic antique look.

D56.jpg

I can't believe how fast you get these things done!

Impressive.

. . . . build thread on my latest Model T. Note that most of what I am posting is awhile after the fact.

Chop, I think this quote from the first entry explains some of what you observe. Doesn't take anything away from the build, though. Great stuff!

Ah yes. I've always gotten into trouble by not reading the instructions.:sneaky:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back