Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiring Turn-Signal Switch to dual flashers

AndyMenon

Hello folks,

Can you please help me rig up the turn-signal switch. The wiring diagram that came with the switch shows only one flasher, but I have 2 in my wiring harness. Here is a sketch. Will this set up work?

Thanks!
Andy
Turn.Signal.wiring.png

No, this won't work. One flasher is for turn signals, the other is for hazard. Whose turn signal? And I can give you the wiring to do hazard if you want that.

No, this won't work. One flasher is for turn signals, the other is for hazard. Whose turn signal? And I can give you the wiring to do hazard if you want that.

Hi, if you could give me the hazard circuit, that would be excellent.
This is an after market switch I got from Wintec fabrications.

thanks as always.
Andy

Did the switch come with instructions? I see a bunch of wires coming out of it, and the description says it does "4-way flasher functions", which means hazard. If you can send me the instructions, I'll see what we can do.

Did the switch come with instructions? I see a bunch of wires coming out of it, and the description says it does "4-way flasher functions", which means hazard. If you can send me the instructions, I'll see what we can do.

Yep, it came with instructions, but one that is on a piece of paper as small as a Dunkin Donuts receipt. Instructions show 6 wires leading out of it. First 4 are obvious (LF, RF, LR, RR turn-signal lights). Then there are 2 wires, blue and black. The instructions show only one "flasher". Blue leads to X and Black to L, that's it.

My scanner's dead in the water. Let me reproduce them in a sketch and post them here.

thanks for your help.
Andy

Yep, it came with instructions, but one that is on a piece of paper as small as a Dunkin Donuts receipt. Instructions show 6 wires leading out of it. First 4 are obvious (LF, RF, LR, RR turn-signal lights). Then there are 2 wires, blue and black. The instructions show only one "flasher". Blue leads to X and Black to L, that's it.

My scanner's dead in the water. Let me reproduce them in a sketch and post them here.

thanks for your help.
Andy

Hi again PotvinGuy,

Here is the sketch of the original wiring diagram for the switch.

Thanks!
Andy

Turn.Signal.basic.instructions.png

Most universal turn signals are the same, and here is how you wire it:

240340.JPG

You'll use just one of your flashers, the other isn't needed. Connect both black and blue to the L prong. Ain't wiring fun?

Hi Potvinguy,

Thanks for the wiring schematic. My past few days were completely hijacked by the day job, and the wife.
Anyways, I wired up the turn signals like you suggested, but there was absolutely no power going to the turnsignal switch. I then unmounted the fuse block and tested the point where the power wire to the turnsignal circuit originates. I find that there is no power to this the terminal in the fuse block.

Is the flasher circuit supposed to be hot on the ignition switch? Or is it supposed to be hot all the time just like the headlights and brake lights are?

Thanks again!
Andy

I wire mine so the flasher is hot at all times. This way the emergency flashers work without the ignition being on, like if you had to leave your car on the road. But it's your choice, just find a fuse that is hot or not.

I wire mine so the flasher is hot at all times. This way the emergency flashers work without the ignition being on, like if you had to leave your car on the road. But it's your choice, just find a fuse that is hot or not.

Can't agree with you any less. Lucky that I got a 21-circuit wiring harness. I tested all circuits on the fuse block, and I saw that the Power-Window circuit was hot. Wired the flasher power to this circuit, and now I see that the turn-signals and hazard lights work :thumbsup:

Here's the updated circuit diagram. Thanks much for your help with this.
Turn.Signal.wiring.corrected.png

Hey, AndyMenon, I've got a question for you. With the above setup, brake light switch off, the RH brake lite flashes when RH turn switched and vice versa. Correct?. With the brake light switch "on" but no indicator switched, both brake lights "on". Correct?
With the brake light switch "on" and, say, the RH indicator switched, does the brake light still flash?
(in other words, do the brake lights flash with the indicator switch irrespective of whether the brake light switch is "on" or "off" ?.)

Hey, AndyMenon, I've got a question for you. With the above setup, brake light switch off, the RH brake lite flashes when RH turn switched and vice versa. Correct?. With the brake light switch "on" but no indicator switched, both brake lights "on". Correct?
With the brake light switch "on" and, say, the RH indicator switched, does the brake light still flash?
(in other words, do the brake lights flash with the indicator switch irrespective of whether the brake light switch is "on" or "off" ?.)
Sorry for the late response WM.My day job did a short work of.killing what was left of my summer.
Yes, when the blinkers are flashing, and I hit the brake pedal, the brake lights come on. They work independent of each other.

Best,
Andy

Can't agree with you any less. Lucky that I got a 21-circuit wiring harness. I tested all circuits on the fuse block, and I saw that the Power-Window circuit was hot. Wired the flasher power to this circuit, and now I see that the turn-signals and hazard lights work :thumbsup:

Here's the updated circuit diagram. Thanks much for your help with this.
View attachment 6954

Hello Folks /PotvinGuy,

How are you all?

I thought I solved this issue. I am almost done with my wiring and most things seem to be working fine with exception to the front-turnsignals. I can hear the flasher clicking, brake light, rear turn signals,hazard lamps come on at the back, and headlamps just work fine!

Here's what I have checked so far with my multi-tester:

Throwing the turn-signal stalk, I can see the voltage change at the ends of all the wires leading out from the turnsignal switch.
Also, when the test for voltage where the front turnsignal wires attach to the turnsignal wire in the king bee bucket, I can see voltage flick on and off with the flasher.
I am sure, that I checked the turnsignal bulbs before I put them into the bucket.
What gives?

Thanks,
Andy

I believe the turn signals in those headlights are the red and yellow wires; one goes to ground and the other to the turn signal switch. Is that what you have?

I believe the turn signals in those headlights are the red and yellow wires; one goes to ground and the other to the turn signal switch. Is that what you have?
I don't remember the colors of the wires per say. But yes, it is as you described. The turn signal lights fixtures have 2 wires leading out, one that goes to positive power, and power the other to the ground.

I don't remember the colors of the wires per say. But yes, it is as you described. The turn signal lights fixtures have 2 wires leading out, one that goes to positive power, and power the other to the ground.
Ummm...so one wire goes to ground and the other to the turn signal switch, right?

Ummm...so one wire goes to ground and the other to the turn signal switch, right?
Yes, that is correct!
And I tested the ground, there does not seem to be a problem. If it were, the headlights would not come on because the ground wire for the headlights run to the same point as the one for the turn signal.

I think I will need to open up the dome and check the bulbs, and their seating .

Also, I'm not sure if I should disregard the second flasher that's in my wiring harness. Based on my conversation in this very forum last year, I got it working with only 1 flasher. Did I make a mistake?

Huh. Sounds like you have flashing and ground at the buckets. Extremely unlikely that you have two bad bulbs, but this problem is with both buckets, right? Guess you need to open the buckets and check the wiring to the turn lights. Pull the bulbs and check for flashing voltage at the contacts. Somewhere you must be losing the flashing or the ground.

You're fine with just the one flasher. The rear turns work OK, right? Does the hazard switch work?

And, hello, I see a mistake in the diagram. Both the black and blue wires should go to the L terminal of the flasher. Power goes to the X terminal. Fix this and try the lights before tearing into the buckets.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back