Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiring Turn-Signal Switch to dual flashers

Huh. Sounds like you have flashing and ground at the buckets. Extremely unlikely that you have two bad bulbs, but this problem is with both buckets, right? Guess you need to open the buckets and check the wiring to the turn lights. Pull the bulbs and check for flashing voltage at the contacts. Somewhere you must be losing the flashing or the ground.

You're fine with just the one flasher. The rear turns work OK, right? Does the hazard switch work?

And, hello, I see a mistake in the diagram. Both the black and blue wires should go to the L terminal of the flasher. Power goes to the X terminal. Fix this and try the lights before tearing into the buckets.

OK! Nice to have a couple of days off so that I can be down in my garage in peace . The boss and the 2 lunkheads are out of the house. Yay! :laugh:

Yes, the issue is with both buckets. The 2 turn signal bulbs when pulled out of the buckets work fine.
Rear Turn, Brake lights, 3rd Brake light and Hazard works perfectly. Even the third brake light flashes when the hazards are on!

I will reroute the wires as you suggested and check if that fixes the problem. It's really painful opening up the headlight buckets :confused:

Thanks much! Will keep you posted on the fix.

you probably have a flasher for the turns then one for your emergency....as per Potvin!

Huh. Sounds like you have flashing and ground at the buckets. Extremely unlikely that you have two bad bulbs, but this problem is with both buckets, right? Guess you need to open the buckets and check the wiring to the turn lights. Pull the bulbs and check for flashing voltage at the contacts. Somewhere you must be losing the flashing or the ground.

You're fine with just the one flasher. The rear turns work OK, right? Does the hazard switch work?

And, hello, I see a mistake in the diagram. Both the black and blue wires should go to the L terminal of the flasher. Power goes to the X terminal. Fix this and try the lights before tearing into the buckets.

I'm sure I did reply to this post days ago! Not sure why I don't see it here. But let me re-post once again.
Yep, the whole rear setup and the hazards work perfectly at the back.
I will correct my wiring and check before I take a crack at the buckets.

thanks
Andy

Yes, as you can see in this pic of a Ron Francis panel:

Untitled.jpg

Now why they use 2 flashers is a cosmic mystery. Might have something to do with the OEM-style columns they typically mate with.
I do my own wiring and use just one flasher for both functions. With your aftermarket turn switch one is all you need.

Yes, as you can see in this pic of a Ron Francis panel:

Untitled.jpg

Now why they use 2 flashers is a cosmic mystery. Might have something to do with the OEM-style columns they typically mate with.
I do my own wiring and use just one flasher for both functions. With your aftermarket turn switch one is all you need.
Got it! Now I must focus on the wiring like PotvinGuy advised, and then open up the buckets if necessary.

thanks

Folks, after being severely distracted by the day job and the problems with my steering column, I was finally able to get back to this issue and resolve it. It just happened to be a simple case of incorrect wiring. But this wasn't without reason.

The blinker wiring is pretty odd. It has a white for power wire and black for the ground.
And the ground wire I happened to use was white. Therefore it was pretty easy to hook up the white to the white, and black to the power wire leading to the issues with the front turn signals.

All I had to do was simply swap the wires and reconnect, and everything worked perfectly!

Conclusion:
If you have King Bee headlights where the blinker wires are black and white, make sure to trace where they lead to on the bulb holder. Chances are the white wire is the power wire, and black is the ground wire.
I'm still not clear on why the harness comes with 2 flashers. But only 1 flasher is needed.

Thanks for your inputs!
Andy

Folks, after being severely distracted by the day job and the problems with my steering column, I was finally able to get back to this issue and resolve it. It just happened to be a simple case of incorrect wiring. But this wasn't without reason.

The blinker wiring is pretty odd. It has a white for power wire and black for the ground.
And the ground wire I happened to use was white. Therefore it was pretty easy to hook up the white to the white, and black to the power wire leading to the issues with the front turn signals.

All I had to do was simply swap the wires and reconnect, and everything worked perfectly!

Conclusion:
If you have King Bee headlights where the blinker wires are black and white, make sure to trace where they lead to on the bulb holder. Chances are the white wire is the power wire, and black is the ground wire.
I'm still not clear on why the harness comes with 2 flashers. But only 1 flasher is needed.

Thanks for your inputs!
Andy

For the folks who need the wiring diagram, here it is once more.

Turn.Signal.wiring.corrected.png

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back