Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1919 Chevy Bucket

ChopperDave

This idea of building a "T" Bucket came from experiencing this car firsthand in about 1980
LowBlow1.jpg

Even though I have built a bunch of Repop Duece Roadsters over the years the desire for a bucket has never diminished.
In November of 09 I upgraded the engine in my dually to a Vortec 7.4 and have a good 454 sitting on my stand.
So I decided to build a car around that Big Block Chevy... In my searching for a stretched body that I could actually fit in I came across Hermans Fast Glass.
Hermansrightside.jpg

Eureka! Is it just me or does that cowl look almost Chevrolet?
1919Chev490.jpg

1919 Chevrolet Series 490 Touring.

A plan was hatching: Build it as a Chevy rather than a Ford. Something a little different...

Then I found a 1919 Radiator Surround out in Iowa:

chevy_rad.jpg

Bought one of SoCal's new Forged Drop Axles:

IMG_2059.jpg

Fabricated some Tapered Rails:

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

And laid it out on the shop floor:
IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

Won't be long now, huh??

Ron

Sweet :rofl:

That's going to be a sweet ride, keep the pictures coming.

This idea of building a "T" Bucket came from experiencing this car firsthand in about 1980
LowBlow1.jpg

Man that car is just sick. I have been trying to figure out how a guy could build a car like that but with a c-cab truck body and that picture puts things in perspective. Good luck with the build.

Thank you for the updated pics. I love that body. I am not a chevy guy but I dig the idea of something different. In one pic it looks like the body has "humps" to clear the rear kickup, is that the case?

Dave, thats starting out as a nice ride. I love the Chevy grill. :rofl:

However, you got a couple of pics of the Streetglide, that has my attention? :spank:

Sweet FLHX, I bought a Standard in '05, and the Streetglide came out in '06.

Emma107011.jpg

Emma107014.jpg

OK sorry Hijack over. :wow:

ok.gif
Nice one Bruce. Yeah this was my first "New" Harley probably my last too. When I saw the issue of Hot Bike introducing the StreetGlide thought to myself well they finally built one that doesn't need changing. Bought the second one in the Valley (first black one) in 05. It was cool at first now seems like they are everywhere... had to customize it just so I can find the damn thing in the parking lot. LOL

OK back to the project... Bought some cheepo wheels off craigslist for mockup and while at my neighborhood Commercial Tire to pick up some mag lugs I found these slicks for free
thumb.gif

Slicks3.jpg

Slicks1.jpg

Slicks2.jpg

Ground the welds today, started with big bertha then final sculpting with a little flapper. I will just use filler for the coupe of low spots.
IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

Then set the body to check crossmember measurements
IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

The rails look great Dave :thumb: nice work. I don't know about you but I hate grinding, even though sometimes its necessary. :)

Oh, and cool slicks too. :bubble:

Grinding is no more than sculpting sorta like polishing.

Ron

Grinding is no more than sculpting sorta like polishing.

Ron

I relate it to whittling, the part is in the metal you just gotta get it out.

Dave, could the same effect been had by having the rails hydro formed (is that the proper term?) ?

John

I looked all over the local area for someone with capability to bend 2x3 .188 tubing, the closest was Portland and the they said the were not sure if they could do the bends as close together as I needed. So I just went back to what I knew I could do myself, basically the same as pinching boxed Duece rails to match a Model A cowl. By tacking the rails to each other they come out identical.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back