Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Got started today

I haven't been around here long but I've gathered that Ted has been building these for a long time so there's no way I'm going to discount anything he says. However, in the case of the front panhard I'm going with the majority and running it. If it reacts like Ted warns, it will be easy to address at that point.

John, this might be a better picture showing the front panhard bar. It's tough to get a good pic because of the front axle.

frontpanhard.jpg

And here's the full shock pic.

fullshock.jpg

If I had wheels and tires I wouldn't have any problems being ready to drop in the motor and tranny by this weekend. I'm going to try to gather up some junk steel wheels for this purpose. I thought I decided on Cragar Super Stars, but it doesn't look like they come in the backspacing I want.

I, too, agree that using a panard bar on the front is the way to go. However, I believe that it should be as long as you can possibly make it. By doing so, you get the least amount of side to side deflection with the vertical movement of the axle. (The same thing applies to using a panard bar on the rear also.)

Jim

Just a thought here, when you install everything, try using just a set of bare wheels, no tires, that will tell the tale as far as clearance goes... I know you will throw that ft panard bar aside.. by the way, what type of steering are you going to use?? cross or top frame mount? Good Luck.. :)

I should explain my desire to get the car on the road with what I currently have. I need to take a trip to Sedona, AZ this summer to spread my wife's ashes in her favorite canyon. Her family left it up to me to decide when that will happen so I decided that if we're going to take one final cruise together I would rather do it in my t bucket instead of a Buick Regal or a Chevy Tahoe.

I figure that Spirit sends out a road-worthy kit and I should have no problems getting to Sedona and back with what they have sent me. I'll have plenty of time to look in to alternate parts and methods later on. In fact, I look forward to being able to do that.

However, having said that, I admit that it's proving to be a little intimidating now that it's time to align the suspension since I've never worked on a car like this before. Of course I want to make sure everything is as right as possible and I appreciate all of your help. I know that with your help I'll be able to make that Sedona trip.

Good luck bro on your journey.Wow car building just took on a whole different meaning.You Rock.

Have a great trip, You have a worthy cause going, just go slow and easy with the build, testing is key here, bouncing up and down on the frame and watching all that is happening with your suspension is a very needed test process... My best advertizing was competitors chassis's hanging on my walls... :)

Thanks Rick. Ted, I do want to get it on the road but I also want to make it as right as possible with what I have.

I'll be asking you guys questions when it comes time to adjust the radius rods this weekend.

I did get my wheels and tires ordered this morning. I went with Weld Pro Star wheels, 15x14 on the back and 15x6 on the front. The tires are all Hoosiers, 31" tall for the back.

Good deal Satori! Now you will have a roller before you know it. In addition, with the Hoosiers, you can go dirt track racing...LOL. Great job on your build. We are all behind you and cheering you on as your build has such an important meaning.

Satori said:
Thanks Rick. Ted, I do want to get it on the road but I also want to make it as right as possible with what I have.

I'll be asking you guys questions when it comes time to adjust the radius rods this weekend.
You can do that for sure, it is just that you have a bit more than you need, or should I say shorter than you want or need.. Time will show you all what needs to be changed, better than Me... :)

I agree with ted time really tells the story as individual as all these cars are. As far as suspension adjustments.

Fortunately, I have a safe and secure garage. Unfortunately, my wife has it filled with her crap, ha. I have mine on a trailer and bought a $199 fold out canopy with leg extensions and side curtains. I also have a nice cover that I put on at nite when I zip it up. It works great and is an inexpensive way to go, and you can take it with you to the shows and meets.

I made some good progress today. My goal is to have the chassis totally done and ready so when the wheels and tires are delivered Thursday I'll be able to bolt them on and drop in the motor and tranny on Thursday night or Friday night. Then I can set the body on and start trimming and cutting the holes. If I can finish all of that next weekend, I'll take the body for prep and paint on Monday, June 1. I found a body guy that's highly recommended by the local car club that said he would do all the prep and paint for $500. He's painted a few cars that have won shows, so this one is a no-brainer. :D (I hate sanding)

Today I got the whole chassis aligned and got the rear end set to 3 degrees and the front axle set to 5 degrees. It was time consuming but wasn't that difficult to do. Also got the front spindles, brakes, and rotors put together.

I still need to run the brake lines and change the rears over to disk, but I should have no problems getting that done before Thursday. Spirit didn't send the steering box in the initial shipment but they're sending one out.

fromfront.jpg

frombehind.jpg

frontrotor.jpg

backoffront.jpg

Wow, moving right along. Mine was supposed to ship Friday but they were waiting on the upholstery and because of the holiday likely will ship Tuesday. I hope it arrives Friday so I don't miss another weekend.

RPM said:
Looks good except you have the front calipers on the wrong side. The bleeder screws must point up or you can't get the air out of them.

Crap, it figures! :D

Greg R said:
Wow, moving right along. Mine was supposed to ship Friday but they were waiting on the upholstery and because of the holiday likely will ship Tuesday. I hope it arrives Friday so I don't miss another weekend.

Mine was also held up by upolstery. :)

Hey, look at this way, you had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. One other little thing that's no big deal is put some talcum on the friction shock disc. Looking good, sure bring back some good memories. 25% of the fun is building it - 50% is driving it and 25% is watching the pretty girls wave at the car. :twisted:

Greg R said:

By the way, my kit shipped on a Monday and arrived that Friday. Maybe MD is closer and you'll get it Friday if it ships Tuesday. Good luck!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back