Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Design & Build

I'm getting a bit wobbly...these pipes remind me of my one and only ride on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. 5 final is super-fly. Go forth and multiply, grasshopper.

Will the passenger side be a mirror image of the #5 Final, to keep things symmetrical, or will you design something different over there that doesn't have to avoid the steering link?

Can they make the two primary- 2 into 1 merger curved too? like the curvy look of a classic header? vs the straight look of a sprint style header?
930CR100C_L_356ff66b-d522-42d1-8f38-c67354fb5d84.jpg
930CER100H_L_c9c6b7ae-2fa9-4129-86cd-2eebc340aac1.jpg

Will the passenger side be a mirror image of the #5 Final, to keep things symmetrical, or will you design something different over there that doesn't have to avoid the steering link?
I could certainly do anything I want on the passenger side since I have to create a mockup
for both sides. I did ask GP Headers if I needed to create a mockup of the other side and
the answer was YES. I will be trying to mirror and driver side as closely as I can for the
passenger side.

Can they make the two primary- 2 into 1 merger curved too? like the curvy look of a classic header?
If I understand your question correctly, I have never seen a pic of a curved Merge Collector of any
kind 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc. With enough money someone might try creating it, but it's a pretty complex
shape on the inside. Especially when you have a spear internally.

MergeCollector_WithSpear.jpg

You ask, what does a spear do?

MergeCollectorScience.jpg

Maybe you would prefer something like this for your headers !!!

MergeCollector_Crazy.jpg

You don't see both side at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,I'm just saying...…...they don't have to be the same...….

If I understand your question correctly, I have never seen a pic of a curved Merge Collector of any
kind 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc. With enough money someone might try creating it, but it's a pretty complex
shape on the inside. Especially when you have a spear internally.

View attachment 18119

You ask, what does a spear do?

View attachment 18117

Maybe you would prefer something like this for your headers !!!

View attachment 18118

When you have three (3) or more tubes coming together, you have that "dead" spot in the center and that spear smooths out the pulses/air flow/ turbulence , no dead spot when you only have two tubes coming together. I'm not calling your kid ugly, just that it's the only straight area on your tubes JMHO , I applaud your effort in building your headers.

You don't see both side at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,I'm just saying...…...they don't have to be the same...….
You are right, but I will be trying to get them close so when you walk around to the other
side it's not obviously different.

Can they make the two primary- 2 into 1 merger curved too?

If you already knew they made them curved, why did you ask?

Thanks for posting, that is the first pic I have seen. Do they have them in 4 into 1 merge collector?

To make one side perform the same as the other, wouldn't you want them really close to the same design and length, not just to make them look good? You have went to alot of work to not keep them reasonably the same. I admire your enthusiasm on this project.

To make one side perform the same as the other, wouldn't you want them really close to the same design and length, not just to make them look good?
Yes that's right. To me, if I'm trying to make a mirror image, then they would be exactly the
same. In looks, dimensions and performance.

You might notice all the numbers and reference marks on the driver side. That is so I can
duplicate it on the passenger side. I'm in full agreement with you !

If you already knew they made them curved, why did you ask?

Thanks for posting, that is the first pic I have seen. Do they have them in 4 into 1 merge collector?

I was talking about IF the company YOUR dealing with had them, I knew I saw them some where in my travels (on the web) had to go looking. If they do have 4 into 1 it would probably on the flat and not bunched. I just "lost" my old 'putor, had to get a new one, all the history and bookmarks etc... gone, have to start looking up all the old stuff

I might have something worthy off sending to GP Headers for them to build. I pre-cut
all my straight pieces and then gathered up all the elbows to duplicate the driver side
header. The only piece I didn't have was the final 3.0 inch collector PVC.

I built the duplicate by working on each primary tube from the head out all at the same
time. No telling how many times I have made the trip from one side to the other to compare,
but I figure the distance traveled is about 1/4 mile. How fitting is that !

I have not screwed it all together yet, I wanted to give a day or two before I finalize the design.

FP02_SideToSide_Compare_01741.jpg

FP02_SideToSide_Compare_01739_01740.jpg

I finally had to concede to adding 3/4 inch to one segment shown below. For the comparison
below I had to mirror the first image so all the tubes would be going the same direction. You
will notice that the numbers are backward.

FP02_SideToSide_Compare_01742_01744.jpg

Lots of work gone into that Indycars, I tips me lid. I gather rotating the last Y piece to gain the 3/4" on the outside pipe pulled the collector out of line.
Regards,

Looks good! I can see the attention to detail and imagine the time and effort invested. They will look much better when finished. Your effort will be rewarded. I hope that you realize the performance gains that you are aiming for as well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back