Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

Russ, I never liked Green myself till 1956, when Ford came out with a great Green called Forest Green, it has Gold flakes down deep when the Sun shines on it...I really like both your color choices, I am tempted to re-do all my suspension parts in that dark metallic Grey color, as I think it may go great with my Black frame and body... :wow: You are just pickinum-up and putum down.. You will have Her back together plenty soon... It is always a wonder what a coat of paint will do, covers up a multitude of Sins, so they say hehe Looking Great. :)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the positive comments!! The Corvette smoke (gray) color has long been a favorite of mine as well. it's a color that has beauty because it's so under-stated. with a black body the gray might work well for the suspension components Ted, but it's a color that you don't want to overuse along with bright colors, or it's beauty fades IMHO. I wanted my frame to not be a focal point, and the smoke color tends to allow that when used with flashier colors like the green pearl I chose. What I didn't want to do was paint the frame a "chassis black". to me that's like taking a hooker to the Governors ball.BTW Ted, I don't think paint covers up sins well at all. in fact paint magnifies whatever is under it. good or bad. people say painting is hard, but I say painting is easy, it's the prep work that kills me. that's why I'd never make it as a show car builder: I HATE finish bodywork. Russ

I love it. It's just like working on the candy assembly line. and it all looks good enough to eat.
hooray.gif

Russ

386363411.jpg

That is a good lookin Green... only the color of money looks better..
ab.gif

Yup... green cars are simply a reflection, and reminder, of where all the money is.
wow.gif

Russ

I painted a few more bits smoke gray after work this evening, and also tried something new (to me). I've been wanting to try some of the Mirage paint by duplicolor. it's a 3 part system to paint a color shift in several different versions. I chose the one called Ice. although the finished product didn't come out as I expected, or as pictured in some adds I'd seen, but it does have a very good color shift as you move around it or alter the lighting. It's an interesting look. I plan to try one other version as well, but it hasn't arrived yet (green to silver). I'll report on it when it does, but here's a pic of my radius rods painted with the Ice color shift.
386463972.jpg

Russ

Nice job I had a snowmobile with a color shift hood green to purple it looked pretty cool in the light. Just think if your whole car was this when you passed a cop one could say green car the next could say silver. What color would you say on the registration?

Nice job I had a snowmobile with a color shift hood green to purple it looked pretty cool in the light. Just think if your whole car was this when you passed a cop one could say green car the next could say silver. What color would you say on the registration?

Funny you should say that. Here in the UK the Police were trying to get color shift paint banned as they had problems ID ing cars that had it.
COOOL Eh!
Gerry

and when you bolt all the bits (that are ready) together:

386599435.jpg

The front hubs came off yet again for more machine work. whoever converted the axle I'm using (36 Ford) to juice brakes drilled the wheel studs for Chev bolt pattern and must have used a hand drill and a yardstick. I had to set the hubs up in my mill and re-drill them for use with larger spline studs. even then a few of the studs were a little loose in the hub, so I tack welded them all. Well guess what? today I realized that the shoulder on the hub was set up for a brake drum with a larger center hole. I have no idea what those drums were even off of, and they were shot. I picked up some 56 Chevy drums and remachined the shoulder on the hub to fit them. of course that proved to be a bit of a challenge with the studs all welded in place. sheeze. anyway... it's all good, as I was able to install all the brake shoes, wheel cylinders, etc today and everything fit. ya hoooo.
386846849.jpg

After the brakes were all buttoned up again I fabed the tubes for the radiator lines. It takes a bit of plumbing to get a Northstars cooling system attached to a radiator in a North/South configured car. I used most of an 11' stick of 1 1/2" tubing along with 6 rubber elbows and one straight connector. Of course I wanted that all to be as hidden as possible, so the tubes are all painted the frame color and tucked down along the lower inside edge of the frame rails (which is why I don't have a better pic of them.) As long as I was in the plumbing business I went ahead and installed the electric fuel pump and hard lines. Times being as hard as they are... I hope no-one tries to steal all my gold plated parts.
386846851.jpg

zingy.gif
can someone please tell me where these wires go?
zingy.gif

386884385.jpg

and this is just the engine management system wiring!! I haven't even opened the box with the systems wiring yet. This poor wiring harness is really getting used and abused, as it's been in my Northstar Fiero for a wile, as well as undergoing several changes for variious projects utilizing the Northstar mule (idea testing) engine......... which is now my bucket T engine.
I just love wiring........ NOT!

Russ

I do plan to hide as much wiring as possible under the intake manifold BTW. this engine uses a dry manifold and valley, so putting wires under there isn't an issue (in fact the starter and solinoid is located in the valley
rolleyes.gif
).

Russ

You had that Northstar in a Fiero ? That must have been a real sleeper if you were able to quiet the exhaust note.

Actually I still have the Northstar Fiero. this is a different engine. I had this wiring harness and Holly Commander ECM on that car for a wile, but switched it over to a 7730 GM unit.
The exhaust note is pretty good. throaty but not too loud. The Fiero was a really fun project, but I don't drive it much anymore.

Russ

I did a starter on a tacoma and the starter was under the intake pointed toward the flywheel. Can you say fun?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back