Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The T in my head, thoughts?

Well, I like it a lot! Use LED lights for vibration resistance. And add a fixed third light in the middle. If nothing else it'll have people scratching their heads.

Great. Never seen that done on a T before. Citreons had moving HL in the 60s, but they found out that if you ever got on opposite lock in the dark, you couldn't see where you were going. Also on twisty roads seeing what's ahead became a problem...

Fuel tank arrived. I had originally wanted to do a 5gal moon tank in front of the grill. But 1) Moon tanks are way too expensive, and 2) 5 gal isn't very practical. So this 16 gallon tank set up for an intank EFI pump will work just fine

First attempt at sitting in the project, and I look on my face I can only describe as 'Creepy Mad Scientist"

No, I didn't make vroom vroom sounds :p

Ohhh mannnn, . . . .

If you don't make the vroom vroom sound at least once, you'll jinx it and it won't ever start

On the serious side . . . it's really coming together nicely :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Darlene

Where did the tank come from, if you don't mind telling?

It's from a company called TanksInc, you can order directly from their site or as I did through EBay which is easier for me. This tank is specifically set up for an EFI in-tank pump but doesn't come with it. The tank is of great build quality for the pricing, their EFI pumps are on the spendy side but thankfully they use a traditional 6 bolt pattern and spacing so other brands pumps can fit and a traditional 5 bolt fuel level sending unit hole too

This weekends project, getting the three pedals to fit.

The pedal/masters assembly is from a sandrail, the masters have an interference problem with the exhaust. The front of the tape line is where the front of the body lines up on the frame.

Found a set of bolt in masters with smaller reservoirs:

Clearanced the body to fit over the assembly, I realized this could have been done much cleaner but I want to set this up so I can easily remove the body and leave the mechanicals on the frame.

6'1" size 13 shoes

With the engine sitting on it's mounting pucks and trans lifted a bit made for some more clearance and pulled the assembly forward, also tweaked the pedal arms closer together to get full swing without body or drivetrain interference

While I was in the cutting modd, cut out for the driveshaft and diff

Has this idea for tail light mounts, originally those brackets were for headlight pedestals.

I also realized the coil over mounts will be on top of the frame in the rear so I mock spaced the fuel tank up to get a better idea of proportions.

At the end of this month I'm losing the use of this shop space, the project and my tools will be in storage until I can line up another work space. By no means is this project back burnered, it's important to me to meet some goals with this vehicle in the up coming year. Just another hurdle to clear.

I'm not experienced like a lot of these folks here, but it seems to me that you've managed to get the cart before the horse, so to speak.

You have exceptionally limited space in that area you're using to put the pedals, and it seems the wiser choice would be to locate and install the steering first, especially since it really has to go there.

Most pedals in T's pivot on a frame mounted stud and operate masters that are located back under the seating area . . . nothing about them is in front of the firewall, and usually at least a few inches behind.

...You have exceptionally limited space in that area you're using to put the pedals, and it seems the wiser choice would be to locate and install the steering first, especially since it really has to go there.

I too am learning as I'm going, but I was planning on cowl steering keeping geometry in mind.

I guess that's about your only option really, . . . . Although I'd still be a bit concerned about reservoirs so close to header heat . . .

I was always led to understand that cowl steering was usually fraught with its own set of problems for street driven Ts, notably among them, being severe bump steer.

As I look at as many T pics as I can to get ideas and general knowledge, I'm struck by how few cowl steer setups I've seen, which sort of begs the question, that if it's really a perfectly viable alternative, why don't you see it far more often . .

It sounds like you have a plan here though, and have thought this thru in advance, I am curious as to the details

Darlene

For what it's worth . . .

Here's a couple videos of how others have installed manual transmissions in T's, while still maintaining a normal sized, dual master brake cylinder . . . . have you tested that mini cylinder with your disk brakes . . .

Ask Pete Eastwood ( of Pete & Jake's) what he thinks of cowl steering ......you can't engineer the bump steer out of it ...
That pedal setup may work for you but I'd much rather see a dual master for brakes ,
I really dislike hydraulic clutch cause they invariably leak...
If your gas pedal pivoted off the firewall it would be e much more comfortable to use , IMO and yes , I have a 4speed in my car ..and I'm 6' tall &wear a size 12 shoe..

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back