Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The T in my head, thoughts?

WOW, . . .

That's really coming along fast!

Any issues with the steering being too quick with that uber long pitman?

I saw that too. It has a lot to do with the ratio of the box. How many turns of the steering box lock to lock?

Finishing the sectioned/chopped grill before body panels go in for paint tomorrow. I don't have the chopped grill insert yet so I did what I could given the specs of grill length from online information. It won't be perfect but close enough for my project.

How much did you end up taking out of it?

Speedway lists the standard '32 grill insert at 27 3/8" long, which was exactly what my original insert measured out to. The chopped version of the same grill insert that speedway sells is listed at 23", so I made sure the inside length of the shell measured to 23", taking out 4.375" from the grill.

Can you open that lower area back up, I really like the appearance of the top pic with a fully open grill lots more than with the lower part being sheet metal. . . . Of course that's just me personally, ymmv

Speedway lists the standard '32 grill insert at 27 3/8" long, which was exactly what my original insert measured out to. The chopped version of the same grill insert that speedway sells is listed at 23", so I made sure the inside length of the shell measured to 23", taking out 4.375" from the grill.

Can you open that lower area back up, I really like the appearance of the top pic with a fully open grill lots more than with the lower part being sheet metal. . . . Of course that's just me personally, ymmv

I’m trying the multi quote thing right now.
Do you see two quotes?

Can you open that lower area back up, I really like the appearance of the top pic with a fully open grill....

You're seeing the grill insert in the top pic. The lower pic, after the sectioning, I don't have the grill insert yet. So you're seeing the radiator behind the grill shell :)

Got it!

The insert covers the sheet metal area at the bottom and I missed it in the top pic.

My memory still works pretty well, but damn, the eyeballs are letting me down here lately. . . .

Since mounting the steering, the flipped upside down BMW M3 exhaust manfifolds pointed right at the steering arm. The aftermarket header options for this engine are practically non-existant. The headers that are available are stupid expensive. I decided to start exploring other production engines that share similar dimensions, bore spacing, exhaust port locations & flange design.

I'd stumbled across the late model Mustang 5.0 & 4.6 that were close enough to work, needing mounting flange modifications to work on the BMW V8 cylinder heads. So I ordered 3 sets of Ebay el-cheapo long tube headers for the 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 1 3/4" primaries , 2005-2010 Mustang 4.6 1 5/8" primaries & 1996-2004 Mustang 4.6 1 5/8" primaries.

Starting with the 2011+ 5.0L headers, the passenger side sits beautifully. I should note here, my passenger side is the original vehicles drivers side because I've got them flipped upside down. The "passenger" side hear sits nice and level with the engine. It clears everything. And the beefy 1 3/4" primary pipes look amazing on the engine.

The drivers side 5.0 header doesn't fit as gracefully. If it clears the corner of the body it's going to be tight. It barely clears the master cylinders and of course it interferes with the steering arm.

Header option #2: 2005+ 4.6L

This header fits and clears everything much better. The 1 5/8" primary pipe diameter looks a bit puny compared the 2011+ headers. This set kicks way out to the side and will hang out away from the body. It might make stepping over them to get in and out of the car a challenge. But these are a viable option.

Header option #3: 1996+ 4.6L

Goofy bends in all the wrong places and won't clear the body, master cylinders or steering. Nope.

For right now, until the body returns from paint I've got the 5.0L headers on the engine. Because big, beefy, beautiful & matched set of pipes.

Buy a kit and make your own. I did that for my first set of headers. Find someone with a laser, flame cutter or water jet to cut the flanges for you. If you don't like to weld you can find someone to do that for you. Then paint, chrome or ceramic coat them.
There are many places that sell straight, 90 degree, 45 degree and even U shaped tubes.

Mykk, Can you cut the tubes about an inch or two after the flanges, and swap sides so they hang lower? maybe add a short length of tubing to get them out further?

I likely will need to make a set of pipes. I just wanted to explore the options first. If I can fit production aftermarket parts (even with modification) I will so that if/when it's time to replace, fix or repair something it's available to order.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back