Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

single filament front turn signals

Humidi-T

Ok, Either I've got a brain fart or this isn't just a simple fix.

I've got GM column, single filament front park lights, and LED units in the back. I want my front single filament lights to work as park and turn signals. What I want them to do is when in park light mode they are both lit, but when the turn signal switch is engaged, one of them flashes.

In older production GM cars, before LEDS, GM made the single filament side marker lights flash or burn steady, so I know it can be done (piggyback off of a working set of lamps). The Side markers flashed opposite of the turn signal. IE if the turn signal was on, and the lamp was illuminated, the side marker would be off. When the lamp was off, the side marker would be on.
Any Ideas?

I'm no expert, but maybe the solution is in the signal switch and not the bulb.:confused: KaolaT needs to probably step in on this one.

Darn Devil!:mad: let me get my boxing gloves.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the solution is in the switch. If I had two lamps or a dual filament lamp up front, I wouldn't be posting this.

I was given a pair of single filament side markers from a Honda Motorscooter. I can make them work as park lights and turn signals, but not without using four more relays (in addition to my headlight, fuel pump, horn and radiator fan relays). I just don't want to use such a complex circuit.

As I stand now, I can
A) have front park lights only
B) have front turn signals only
C) buy a new pair of dual filament lamps
D) create the most complex relay circuit ever seen in auto history.
5) buy one of them convertor thingys?

Option C looks pleasant.:)

Humidi-T said:
Ok, Either I've got a brain fart or this isn't just a simple fix.

I've got GM column, single filament front park lights, and LED units in the back. I want my front single filament lights to work as park and turn signals. What I want them to do is when in park light mode they are both lit, but when the turn signal switch is engaged, one of them flashes.

In older production GM cars, before LEDS, GM made the single filament side marker lights flash or burn steady, so I know it can be done (piggyback off of a working set of lamps). The Side markers flashed opposite of the turn signal. IE if the turn signal was on, and the lamp was illuminated, the side marker would be off. When the lamp was off, the side marker would be on.
Any Ideas?

Hey Sos, Are you doing this to be legal in the swamp? Most of us are only running the turn signals up front. I'm not running any parking lights up front and my turn signals are inside my headlamp housings. I tend to drive mine with the headlights on all the time, like a motocycle, cause there's too many crazy folks looking at me and not the road. LOL.

BTW, UPS blew me off, so Im switching to Fed Ex from now on.

Hey Sos, do you have a good ground? Sounds like the same lighting my old bucket has. I have had bad ground isues act like that. Bring it to Mt. Home in july and we all will fix it? Besides, I want to drive it!

GT63 said:
Hey Sos, Are you doing this to be legal in the swamp? Most of us are only running the turn signals up front. I'm not running any parking lights up front and my turn signals are inside my headlamp housings. I tend to drive mine with the headlights on all the time, like a motocycle, cause there's too many crazy folks looking at me and not the road. LOL.

BTW, UPS blew me off, so Im switching to Fed Ex from now on.

Yeah, my inspection station outlined what he wanted before I even show up to make it a one trip thing. I got it figured out now though. See post at the end of thread.

UPS told me they settled it with the shipper. Did you check with them? Wonder if they pocketed the money?

Dennis Bynum said:
Hey Sos, do you have a good ground? Sounds like the same lighting my old bucket has. I have had bad ground isues act like that. Bring it to Mt. Home in july and we all will fix it? Besides, I want to drive it!

I'm just now wiring it up. Yes it has great grounds. Everything is brought back to the body to a ground buss which ties directly to the battery, plus motor has ground strap, tranny has ground strap, and battery goes directly to tranny mounting bolt. It definately is a grounded car.

Dennis, You definately have the option to take her for a spin. Not sure if it will be MT. Home. Putting my spare pennies to getting her legal.

I'm going to have the same problem with my T.

Motorcycles have the same problem. Seems that there are several companies making electronic converters to fix this.

Here is one link:

Magic Blinkers Turn Signal Coverter

Some of these converters are pretty expensive. This one is about 30 bucks.

I also read somewhere about using a trailer brake light converter, but can't find the article right now. I'll keep looking since they're a lot cheaper than the bike units.

Mike

5) buy one of them convertor thingys?

Here's what I came up with. The older GM cars wired the side marker pretty wierd. The two wires from the side marker actually went to the two power wires for the dual filament front signal light. Note, the side marker was not grounded! When the park lights were off, the side marker would flash in unison with the turn signal, getting it's ground through the turn signal switch via the park light filament in the bulb.

When the park lights were on, the side markers would flash opposite of the turn signal, getting it's ground through the turn signal filament when it was off, and getting no ground when it was lit. Problem I have is that I'm not trying to flash side marker lights, but the actual lights up front. I thought about piggybacking off the tail lights, but I'm using LEDS in the back and there is no filament to ground through.

I bought one of the convertor for 24 bucks. I'll replace the brake light input with the park light input, and use the two turn signal inputs. Done. Only need to drag three wires to the front of the car, and I'll have park lights and turn signals in the front.

Friggin module I bought doesn't work with LED lights, as there isn't enough load. I think I'll get a pair of those deals for motorcycles mentioned earlier in this thread.

GT63 said:
I'm not running any parking lights up front and my turn signals are inside my headlamp housings.

Where did you get your signal set up for the headlights? I currently have the ones that double as side mirrors (motorcycle mirrors), but do not like the look that much anymore. Thanks!!

engine24355;9031][quote=GT63 said:
I'm not running any parking lights up front and my turn signals are inside my headlamp housings.

Where did you get your signal set up for the headlights? I currently have the ones that double as side mirrors (motorcycle mirrors), but do not like the look that much anymore. Thanks!!

Turn Signal Indicator for H-4 Bulbs
910-64150-INSET_L.JPG

They are SUPER easy to install. You pull out the H4 bulb, place the turn bulb and reinstall the H4 bulb. "Easy- peasy" as someone once said.

You can also install a parking light by drilling a hole in the reflector of the H4 to accept a small single filament bulb and install it. I did that on mine and am very pleased with it as it keeps the front very uncluttered.

EX JUNK said:
They are SUPER easy to install. You pull out the H4 bulb, place the turn bulb and reinstall the H4 bulb. "Easy- peasy" as someone once said.

You can also install a parking light by drilling a hole in the reflector of the H4 to accept a small single filament bulb and install it. I did that on mine and am very pleased with it as it keeps the front very uncluttered.

Good deal. I will have to see if I have the proper bulb set up in my headlights for this to work. Would be a cool clean set up. May have some mirrors for sale if this works...lol.

I was thinking of buying a 2 L E D marker lights [ 2'' x 2''] for the front of my car for a turning light [ i don't have parking lights.] Will the light work flashing when it is made to stay on all the time ??

The bulb doesn't decide to flash on its own. One thing to think about is a single filament bulb will not be as bright as a turn signal. If you only want a turn signal get a 2 filament bulb and use the brightest filament or use both of them. If you use both they will flash faster. You are going to need a flasher wired in too.

On the front of my car there is turning lights only [ with 2 wires with bulbs [ 1 ground & 1 power] if i would use a LED marker type light with 2 wires [1 ground & 1 power] The flasher on the car will make it flash right ? The light on the LED would be brighter then a bulb . ???????

That sounds ok. But I have never used led lights but I seem to remember something about a special flasher for them. Current makes the flasher work and led's use a lot less power. Check with the led supplier.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back