Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

Cooter has learned a lot about his self and his ability's during this build. Making some life long friends along the way.

Hummmm ..... It seems that Cooter has taken to referring to himself in the third person (just a skosh), with me wondering if the boys will be referred as Prince and the wifey as Princess. Maybe Cooter already does that.

What a weird stab at humor. The primer will tell the tale if the glass work is successful or more of the dreaded sanding will be needed.

Best of luck

John

IMG_20160508_172049408_zpslmcepceq.jpg
think I'm ready to spray it.

IMG_20160509_055638601_zpsvkqisehz.jpg
IMG_20160509_055651279_zps2doy7llu.jpg
IMG_20160509_055641268_zpso9r9imvq.jpg
little work before work. Little block sanding this evening when I get home. What kind of gun do I need to spray that 2k primer?

I have a siphon feed gun. Don't know about tip size?

That'll be fine. If you mix up 16 oz. of primer, thin it with 2 oz. of acetone. mix that up good and add the catalyst. It'll flow nice.

you can buy cheap spray guns just about everywhere. Just get a fluid tip and needle that will allow for the viscosity of the material. I personally prefer the gravity feed guns because they use less air, waste less material, and make less mess as a result of reduced overspray. You can do the same job with either type, but heavier material is difficult to siphon sometimes. I use a gravity feed with a 2.0 fluid tip or a pressure pot for heavy solids like hi build primers and enamel. I change the tip for enamel.

Speaking of glass, I ordered a quart of hardener and a graduated squeeze bottle so I could more easily measure it and not have to mess with those 2 oz small bottles. When I used the new stuff, it kicked much faster than with the stuff that I was getting with the resin, big difference. I think that's the culprit with slow or no cure glass, old or bad hardener. JYI.

I'm lucky that I can buy my glass products locally and kind of under the table.
The shipping is the killer for me, so I end up getting it from a boat supply house in fla., via eBay. The resin has been ok, I did notice that it kicks much faster with the new hardener that I ordered in a larger quantity. I suspect the shelf life for it must deteriorate more rapidly on small quantities, or I just got a fresher or stronger batch. I have enjoyed doing the glass work, but will be glad to be finished with it. It has forced me to get back into doing body work, something I have avoided for a long time after doing it every day for years... Maybe now I will get to some of my other projects. It seems like you have to have a shop full of supplies for one or five projects. Now that I am restocked, no excuse...right?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back