Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

If it's getting the benze from a leaking head gasket, it will usually show up because there will be bubbles in the coolant and can be seen through the radiator cap. Sometimes a coolant pressure test will not show it if it's a small leak. It also may seal itself after a few heat cycles. A re torque may be a thought. Also, one of my first jobs was re coring radiators, coolant system work. We used to use powdered aluminum stop leak in everything that we worked on, even with all new parts, been told that car manufacturers do it too. Just a thought. I've had them leak and tore them down to find the leak was due to the surface marks from having the head, block resurfaced when done on a mill. That was when using steel shim head gaskets, never seen that with fel pro blue, or similar.
Felpro blue will seal anything!!!

Have you done either a cylinder compression test or a cylinder leak down test (or really both) to determine which head is leaking ?
Did you replace both head gaskets ?
Troubles are a'brewin' in the block or heads, perhaps cracks.

Hope it is something really simple.

John

PS The way that piston split a side out and you couldn't determine why it happened bothers me, just aint natural. Something more than meets the eye.

Buck up, you'll figure it out.

Have you done either a cylinder compression test or a cylinder leak down test (or really both) to determine which head is leaking ?
Did you replace both head gaskets ?
Troubles are a'brewin' in the block or heads, perhaps cracks.

Hope it is something really simple.

John

PS The way that piston split a side out and you couldn't determine why it happened bothers me, just aint natural. Something more than meets the eye.

Buck up, you'll figure it out.
150# static. Have not performed leak down.

Performed with the engine hot and the carb throttle blades wide open?
And please, please, please disconnect the coil.
Still bothered by the broke piston.
Also, did you drill a couple a three holes in the thermostat housing to release air in the block when filling with coolant ?
John

One finger John said, "Also, did you drill a couple a three holes in the thermostat housing to release air in the block when filling with coolant" ?
Do you mean housing or thermostat?

Didn't remove thermostat. It appears that I may have got the air out. If I remove thermostat it will get 1/8" holes i promise.

I meant the thermostat itself. I confused the thermostat frame with the cast thermostat housing. Actually, I believe that the thermostat could be gutted of all parts except the disk and it could be run like the roundy-round boys do it. The disk would be used as a restricter to control coolant flow. I think Moroso sells a pack of different sized restricters to suit the situation.

John

039_zpsvo037eps.jpg
0 to 60 with a trailer loaded and the 2 boys. not bad. probably knock 1sec off if just me and no trailer

0 to 60 with a trailer loaded and the 2 boys. not bad. probably knock 1sec off if just me and no trailer

How the heck do 3 of you fit in a bucket? It's gotta be tight.

I get a chance I'll try the 1/4 mile feature. I only had 968 feet to go and I would have had my 1/4 mile time. I'm guessing probably 85-90 in a 1/4

Cooter, looks like quite a bit of hangover on your side of the T. Lol Good to see you and your son enjoying the ride.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back