Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mike's 27 T Build.

I don't have a welder is one reason plus they can be easily removed if needed. Others with this same setup have them bolted on also with no issues. With 4 grade 8 bolts holding each mount on I think it should be plenty strong enough.
I wasn't questioning your engineering or the strength, I just think it would look cleaner welded. But not having a welder is reason enough for me! ;)

So he can have them chromed, and use some stainless button head bolts. They could also be welded on.
You mean like this?

FrontShocks005.jpg

FrontShocks006.jpg

I wasn't questioning your engineering or the strength, I just think it would look cleaner welded. But not having a welder is reason enough for me! ;)

Oh I didn't think you were questioning me. Yep the plan is to have them Chrome also!:)

Picked the engine up from the machine shop today!! Waiting on the heads and a few other goodies then I'll get it finished up.

pictures332012043.jpg

Mike, you did tap and use fine threaded bolts right?

Yep I tapped and used 5/16 fine thread grade 8 bolts. I'm going to do the same for the fuel tank mounts also. Thanks for the help! Hope to get alot done this weekend.

Built a stand for the body of my 27!! Wish I did this when I first brought the car home! I put caster wheels on it and can move the body anywhere including outside on nice days. I made it so the body is at a nice height so I don't have to bend over and I can still get under it. The body is bolted to it. The body will also be painted on this stand.
pictures492012032.jpg

pictures492012034.jpg

pictures492012035.jpg

Well it's a beautiful weekend. The body of my 27 is baking in the sun and I'm working on brake lines. Finished up the back brake lines and now I'm working on the front lines.
27ford006.jpg

27ford002.jpg

27ford004.jpg

Leaving your body set in the sun is a very good idea. If the body was freash when you got it, it will finish curing.

Ron

Leaving your body set in the sun is a very good idea. If the body was freash when you got it, it will finish curing.

Ron

Yep it was pretty fresh out of the mold when spirit sent it to me. I plan to have it out in the sun all summer long (when I'm home) to make sure it's cured. It will be painted over the winter or early spring so by then she should be good!

Haven't posted in a while. Brake lines are all done now. Turned out pretty good. Picked up the Eastwood's brake line flaring tool and it worked like a dream. Only downside to eastwood's flaring tool is it's bench vise mounted so no doing flares on the car so you have to make sure you have cut the brake lines to the right length before flaring. More pictures to come...

carpictures047.jpg

carpictures050.jpg

pictures9232012010.jpg

pictures9232012011.jpg

Here are some pictures of my Trans cooler install. Made up a simple L shapped bracket out of aluminum and drilled and tapped 1/4 20 holes in the bottom of the transmission crossmember on the other side. I used Aeroquip Socketless -6 hose and -6 AN fittings with special adapters for my C4 trans.

For those who plan to use a Ford C4 trans here's something you should know. The cooler ports in the C4 Trans are 1/8-27 NPT "STRAIGHT" not tapered like normal 1/8 pipe thread. You can use a tapered fitting but you have to be careful not to damage the threads or crack the case if you tightened the fittings down to much and you will have to use thread sealent or it will leak. After doing a search I found a small company that makes these fittings. They are 1/8-27 Straight NPT to -6AN with O ring. Here is a link to the company. http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/trans.html
Here are the adapters
Fitting_Web2.jpg

27tbuildpictures023.jpg

27tbuildpictures024.jpg

Pushed her out of the garage for a little sun the other day!! Can't wait till she's running! Won't be long now I hope.

pictures026.jpg

Yea, If you don't lock tight them they will vibrate loose. I would weld them on but if you do you want the brackets that Ron Pope makes.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back